superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Superman What If?  (Read 6319 times)
lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: December 16, 2005, 01:04:19 AM »

What if DC hadn't had Byrne relaunch Superman after Crisis?  What if, instead, they'd kept the original Silver Age version of Superman and continued his adventures Post-Crisis?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:19:28 AM »

for one thing this site wouldn't exist Wink

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 02:10:05 AM »

That just blew my mind...

Hoochie mama...

Cool
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 03:20:30 AM »

Paging llozymandias....

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 03:20:43 AM »

Philosophy time...

I am at this moment reading C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain, where he states:

...it must always be remembered that when we talk of what might have happened, of contingencies outside the whole actuality, we do not really know what we are talking about. There are no times or places outside the existing universe in which all this 'could happen' or 'could have happened.'

So the bottom line is that the Byrne revamp did occur. Yet Super Monkey has inspired me to bring up another point, by another of my favorite writers, Alan Moore.

In Swamp Thing #50, Swamp Thing had a dialogue with Evil, who was coping with its purpose. Swamp Thing gave this answer:

Look to the soil...The black soil...is rich in foul decay...yet glorious life springs from it. But however dazzling, the flourishes of life, in the end, all decays to the same black humus. Perhaps...perhaps evil is the humus formed by virtue's decay. And perhaps it is from that dark, sinister loam, that virtue grows strongest?

We on this site often complain about the Byrne revamp. How could Superman have gone from the dazzling creativity of the Silver Age to the humus of the Byrne revamp? And yet, without the Byrne revamp, we would not be having this conversation. There would be no Supermanica, no online community committed to Superman's history and legacy. There would be no Superman: Birthright,  no Kingdom Come, no Starwinds Howl, no Supreme.

Of all the Superman fansites on the Internet, where has virtue grown strongest?  :wink:

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 03:28:49 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Philosophy time...

I am at this moment reading C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain, where he states:

...it must always be remembered that when we talk of what might have happened, of contingencies outside the whole actuality, we do not really know what we are talking about. There are no times or places outside the existing universe in which all this 'could happen' or 'could have happened.'

Not to downplay the value of our little fraternity of goodness here, but I have to say, whatever Lewis's virtues, he was no theoretical physicist. Cheesy

(I haven't read his fiction or philosophy in over 20 years but I'm looking forward to seeing the first Narnia movie over Xmas.)

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 03:35:42 AM »

Cheesy  Yes...unfortunately Lewis did not stick around long enough to see Waid create Hypertime, where everything that 'could happen' gets its own universe...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

SuperThinnker
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 12:30:09 PM »

Most likey--if Mister Bryne didn't reboot Superman, this web page will still be created-the only different is 1986-1999 wouldn't been considered the Iron Age.

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker

P.S. I using "Superman: Throught the Ages!" comic timeline for the years.

Logging off,
Dr. Thinker
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L