superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supermanica: annoying edits and additions  (Read 6167 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: December 16, 2005, 06:34:19 PM »

Ok,

Sometimes I find people making edits to entries where even after hitting the history button I can barely tell what was changed or for that matter they look the same, since they didn't write what changes were made, no one knows what or why and changes were made.

Please people, write what it was that you changed and why.

Another thing is useless Categories, there are too many Categories, which just adds lots of clutter to the site and confuses things rather than make things easier for users, which is the whole point of Categories in the 1st place.

For example:

Category:Books

There are only two entries, so how can anyone justify this Category?

As a matter of fact, I am taking it out. It's gone.

Another is:

Category:Mr and Mrs Superman

Tell me please, what is covered here that is not covered in the Category:Earth-2 one that could justify this Category?

finally there are these new two ones:

Category:Non-TGSB
Category:TGSB

Maybe the most useless and most clutter adding Categories, how can that ever help anyone find the name of Superman's dog or the name of that Alien planets that that alien Superman meet once was? It doesn't, it doesn't help anyone. Even the entries that were taken from the book have been changed by changing the wording, add new info from things not covered, re-formated and things taken out. That is the whole point of the site.

What is next a Superman Category?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 03:01:03 AM »

This made me laugh.  You're right: too much.  I am to blame for Books and Mr & Mrs --both subjects I am over-enthusiastic for.  Books is just dumb (me being cute --although I'm sure there are more books to be added).  Mr & Mrs, discussed in another thread here, is mostly covered by E2.  So they both can go, as far as I'm concerned.  Non-TGSB seems useless to anyone outside of the hard-core editors, and you only have to check the history or citation dates to learn if it was an original TGSB entry or not.  Not a useful category for the casual reader.

Sometimes people slightly alter a category or punctuation (sometimes for the worse) and I look at the "difference" for minutes like you, trying to figure out what has changed.  So I second the plea for leaving notations on your edits.  Please folks!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 03:54:28 AM »

I just finished cleaning up the Supermanica, all is good once more.

I think the new rule should be that if someone wants to add a new Category, that must start a thread here 1st so that it can be discussed before screwing things on a whim.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 06:32:15 AM »

oops. started the scientists category  Cheesy

But since you are helping (and doing a good job) I assume you approve.

As for me, though, it is 1:30 AM here. I'm going to bed.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 06:41:59 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
oops. started the scientists category  Cheesy

But since you are helping (and doing a good job) I assume you approve.

As for me, though, it is 1:30 AM here. I'm going to bed.

Actually I was thinking of adding that one myself! There are so many Scientists, it was worth doing, I added all of the Scientists that I could think of to it, so it's pretty complete now, unless I missed someone.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 04:43:32 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
I am to blame for Books and Mr & Mrs --both subjects I am over-enthusiastic for.  Books is just dumb (me being cute --although I'm sure there are more books to be added).

I'm pretty sure that I created the 'Books' category back when I added one of the first entries - 'The Encylopedia of Supermanic Biography,' that book that Kristin Wells consulted in Miracle Monday.  I had some other books I was planning/hoping to add, but apparently I never got around to it.

There was that book about villains that Colonel Future consulted, and I'm sure there were plenty more.  Superman's diary (with entries in both English and Kryptonian) also comes to mind.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 06:33:12 AM »

You're right, I must have noticed the books category and added the Supervillain Encyclopedia.

Scientists is a great category!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 06:31:04 PM »

Honestly, I thought scientists was already a great category...until Super Monkey removed it from one of my entries for not existing! Then I made the category.

I've created several entries this weekend, despite being bedridden for 26 hours. And I've learned how to upload images too...watch out Supermanica server!  :lol:

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L