superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof again that fans want the real Superman  (Read 8274 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: December 16, 2005, 07:44:14 PM »

Nov 2005 sales figures:

1. INFINITE CRISIS #2 (Of 7)
2. ALL STAR SUPERMAN #1
5. SUPERGIRL #3

None of the other Superman comcis are in the top ten or in the teens.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 08:10:44 PM »

I was just going to post this. It's fantastic news and it doesn't surprise me in the least. People want to see Superman have cosmic stories where he does things that blow your mind. They don't want to see him facing street-level jobber villains.

Big congrats and a heartfelt "thank you" to Morrison and Quitely. You guys did it.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 08:30:03 PM »

I've posted sales figures for Amazon.com before, but here is a list, in descending order, of the bestselling Superman books since 2000: (fiction, not "Thus Spake Zarathustra," etc.)

Search with "Superman" as subject:

1. It's Superman, by Tom de Haven
2. Tales of the Bizarro World, by Jerry Siegel
3. Superman in the Seventies
4. Superman and Batman: Generations
5. Superman: The Sunday Classics, 1939-1943
6. Son of Superman
7. Action Comics Archives, vol. 3
8. Superman Radio Scripts: Superman vs. the Atom Man
9. JLA/Avengers #1, by Kurt Busiek
10. Krypton Nights (poems)

Search with "Superman" in title:

1. It's Superman, by Tom de Haven
2. Superman/Batman vol. 3
3. Superman: Red Son
4. Superman/Batman vol. 2
5. Showcase Presents:  Superman vol. 1
6. Superman/Batman vol. 1
7. Superman: Birthright
8. For Tomorrow, vol. 2
9. Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek
10. Superman Archives, vol. 1

All the books listed are a) not set in the post-Crisis continuity, or b) have a huge element of Silver Age in them, such as Supergirl, or the World's Finest Team. The exception is For Tomorrow, which is #8 if you search only for books that have "Superman" in the title.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

forgottenhero
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 09:58:21 PM »

Quote from: "NotSuper"
I was just going to post this. It's fantastic news and it doesn't surprise me in the least. People want to see Superman have cosmic stories where he does things that blow your mind. They don't want to see him facing street-level jobber villains.

Boy, they must've really hated Superman back in the 30s and 40s, when virtually all he did was face "street-level jobber villains." Most of 'em didn't even wear costumes!
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 10:39:49 PM »

Sure, the Superman of the Golden Age faced stret level crime.  He also faced  munitions dealers who were provoking wars.

The GA Superman didn't have the constant self doubt the current one does.  He did what was right and did it, even he was hunted by the police.
forgottenhero
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 11:11:30 PM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
Sure, the Superman of the Golden Age faced stret level crime.  He also faced  munitions dealers who were provoking wars.

The GA Superman didn't have the constant self doubt the current one does.  He did what was right and did it, even he was hunted by the police.

That's a different topic.  And I wouldn't mind seeing the contemporary Superman going after munitions dealers either.

The self-doubt seems to be on its way out, thankfully.
Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 02:27:26 AM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"

you mean that vigilante's were accepted by the general public back then?
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 12:56:48 PM »

Not sure if accepted is the right word, but I think maybe there was some genuine feeling of corruption in high and low places going on at that time. So the idea of a honest and true hero who would take on these forces, and do it in the spectacular, fun way that Superman does really connected with audiences.

This is also where the importance of Clark Kent being a reporter for a crusading newspaper played such an important part. He could fight this battle for truth and justice on two fronts.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L