superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:39:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Revenge is Life -- DEATH TO SUPERMAN!"  (Read 5870 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 11, 2003, 11:14:23 PM »

Alright, you guys asked for it - here's Part 3 of the saga that started with The Origin of Superboy Prime:

"Revenge is Life -- DEATH TO SUPERMAN!"

Don't say I didn't warn you... ;-)

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Paul Sanders
Superman Fan

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 08:36:18 PM »

Wow, just......wow.

This is truly sad, to see the pain that Superman must endure.

But still, I ask those who objected to the addition of this story:

What makes Superman great?

Is it inspiring or empowering others when the status quo is threatened?

Or is it dealing with personal tragedy, in such a manner that inspires us to be better human beings?

I think its the latter, but I'd be welcome to hear dissenting viewpoints.

Paul Sanders

Snootchie-Bootchies!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 11:11:02 PM »

Sad  Poor Superman.

This was a very depressing time for Superman comics as everything that we held near and dear to our hearts was being taken away from us.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Paul Sanders
Superman Fan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 09:24:38 PM »

But, lets consider this. What other tragedy had occured in his life?

Krypton dying? Well, he did lose his homeworld, but it shouldn't bring tears to  his eyes whenever he thinks about it. Superman, when thinking about Krypton, should not think about what he lost. Instead, he should be greatful of all the love he had on Earth, and why he loves it so much more.

As to Pa and Ma Kent's deaths? It works well, but it only got dealt with well in Samuel Hawkins story (speaking of which, the link to the Hawkin's interviews doesn't work).  Otherwise, it was treated as kids stuff, with no real drama.

I think Superman, handling this tragedy, would have been a great opportunity. Unfortunately, the "reboot wave" destroyed the memories of these universes, so it was impossible to follow up on.

Opinions?

Paul Sanders

Snootchie-Bootchies!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 12:56:55 AM »

As far as his dealing with Supergirl's death, I think that the most heart breaking and tragic was in the Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? storyline when he meets a younger Sliver Age Supergirl.

http://superman.nu/portal/History/whatever.php
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:15:22 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 08:41:27 PM »

Upon further reflection, I believe that I'm going to have to withdraw my objection to this story.

If Supergirl had to die, it is better that her death be remembered and mourned as the tragedy that it was.  And this story does that brilliantly.

My objection is to the fact that DC decided to kill her.  She should not have died.  I agree, Supermonkey, those were horrific times.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2003, 01:13:20 AM »

Quote from: Paul Sanders
As to Pa and Ma Kent's deaths? It works well, but it only got dealt with well in Samuel Hawkins story (speaking of which, the link to the Hawkin's interviews doesn't work).
Thanks for pointing that out.  I think I've managed to fix all the interview links from the Sam Hawkins pages, so please let me know of any more troubles.  :-)

S!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:16:00 AM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L