superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:08:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Greatest Post Crisis Superman Elseworlds Story  (Read 8093 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2005, 08:50:41 PM »

DC: The New Frontier was the best one hands down. Nothing else comes close IMHO.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »

DISTANT FIRES and the GENERATIONS TRILOGY (and I own an original artwork from series 2).

Can SECRET IDENTITY be considered an Elseworld? It's one of the best comics I have read last year.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2005, 11:11:01 PM »

I second the New Frontier nod.  I also liked World's Funnest.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 02:48:38 PM »

New Frontier and Kingdom Come.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 08:39:04 PM »

Created Equal - All males on earth die except Superman and Lex Luthor  the female Justice League was well portrayed along with the way Luthor manuplated the situation.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 09:40:29 PM »

Yeesh, ask an easy question next time. . .

My favorite Superman-themed Elseworlds, in no particular order:

Superman: Speeding Bullets. What would've happened if the rocket containing baby Kal-El had landed not in Smallville, Kansas but on the outskirts of Gotham City, and that kindly couple that raised him had been not the Kents, but the Waynes? Scary stuff, that's what. The ending may be a bit of a cop-out, but the story itself is at once fascinating and frightening.

Superman & Batman: Generations. What would've happened if Superman and Batman had debuted in the late 1930s, and existed in 'real time', living through the intervening years to the present, dealing with growing older, passing the torch to their descendants and the kind of world the DCU would have been if it existed in chronological continuity. Fascinating stuff, and a great story besides.

JLA: Age of Wonder. Admittedly not -entirely- about the boy with the red 'S' on his chest, this tale of Superman and the JLA making their debut in the 1900s and striving to make the world a better place through Edwardian science makes for a fun read. Superman is a moral exemplar here that serves to bind his friends together in a common desire to use their abilities--physical and mental--to better the world around them. Awesome stuff.

It's A Bird. . .  Not really an elseworlds story, but more an semi-autobiographical piece by Steven S. Seagle about his assignment to the Superman titles and how he deals with that, his family life, and the impact of Superman as a cultural icon. Very compelling stuff.

Superman: Red Son. Superman's rocket lands in the heart of Soviet Russia and he is raised to fight a neverending battle for truth, justice, and the warsaw pact. Easily one of the best Superman stories bar none, regardless of continuity, with the single best ending I've ever read. It'll make you smile if you're a fan, and wonder why it never occured to you before.

Superman: Birthright. Not really an elseworlds per se, but a fun revision of Superman's origin for the 21st century. The artwork of Krypton is stunning, and Mark Waid's writing is so enthusiastic it crackles off the page. You may not be able to go back to the silver age, but this weds the classic Superman mythos to a modern context and it holds together surprisingly well.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Jor-L
Superman Fan

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 03:38:21 AM »

Assuming we are counting ONLY those stories with the official "Elseworlds" logo, then it has to be Generations. If we are counting Secret Identity, then that one wins, no contest.
Jor-El
Supermen of America

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »

Im trying to create a timeline for the first 2 Generations Elseworlds comics. To try and decide the ages and years of births and deaths to add a reality to it It should be finished soon

My world was destroyed and there were no other survivors who am i ?!?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L