superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: destroy all spambots  (Read 9164 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: December 26, 2005, 11:04:14 PM »

We have been hit with 4 different spambots in less than 24 hours, what is going on?

Is there anyway to stop these things?

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 11:08:14 PM »

Great Rao,

please look at this link and try to put some of its ideas into play:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Anti-spam_Features

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 05:08:17 AM »

Those things are crazy and devious.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »

Most of those anti-spam features only work on the newer versions of MediaWiki, so Supermanica is now off-line while I upgrade from 1.4b6 to the latest.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 09:26:11 PM »

Upgrade to 1.5.5 completed.  Some of the mediawiki features have changed, including some new user group stuff, so speak up if there are any problems.

We've now got every anti-spam feature that's on that page which is linked to above, including the SpamBlacklist extension, and even the extra "bad-behavior spambot blocking" extension that is linked to at the very bottom.

If any spammers manage to sneak through after all this, I'll eat my hat.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 11:03:20 PM »

Hurray! Cheesy

I really hope this spells the end of the spambot problems we were having.

Thank you!

- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 07:48:23 AM »

Rao, having spent part of my holidays disinfecting my hard-drive, I have an inkling of ho difficult it is to set something like this up --thanks very much for all the hard work!

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »

You're very welcome!

Yes, doing the upgrade was a hassle, which was the reason I had been putting it off.

But things had gotten to the point where the spammers were a bigger hassle and fortunately the upgrade went smoothly.

S!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L