superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sermon Supreme #2: Superhero comics have been Superceded.  (Read 10847 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 02:09:00 AM »

I just watched Justice League: Starcrossed the Movie. I bought it for $2.99, (mini-disc) and it was awesome. While it isn't always the case, cartoons are just better, for a lower price.

Maybe Dini & co. have just spoiled us, though...because I wouldn't have said that in the 80s, while Alan Moore was writing Swamp Thing and the failed X-men pilot cartoon was being passed around...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

Awww...  c'mon!  You mean you didn't like Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, the Fantastic Four without its inspiration to pyromaniacs, and the Super-Friends era where Darkseid had a sicko desire to marry Wonder Woman?  For shame!

And yes, the Dini+Timm Batman is truly glorious stuff.  Heck, even their Superman stuff that doesn't involve him wearing dorky spacesuits has some good moments, though the best serious Superman either involves Batman (World's Finest), or has a darker Batman feel to it (The Late Mr. Kent).  

The ultimate argument against continuity is that, with a continuous and realistically portrayed Superman, the world we'd live in would be almost unrecognizable in the Superman comics over time.  One of the things that makes the cartoon and video game formats work is the relative lack of continuity.  You don't need complex backstory to appreciate your minutes devoted to the character.  I was trying to explain Loeb's first few issues of Superman/Batman (the first TPB) and it was downright torturous.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 02:24:34 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
And yes, the Dini+Timm Batman is truly glorious stuff.  Heck, even their Superman stuff that doesn't involve him wearing dorky spacesuits has some good moments, though the best serious Superman either involves Batman (World's Finest), or has a darker Batman feel to it (The Late Mr. Kent).

I quite enjoyed a bit where I saw a knock-down, drag-out fight between Superman and Capt. Marvel.  A glorious slugfest in the best Marvel style between Earth's mightiest mortals that destroyed a bunch of buildings.

Fans of the JLU show often complain very loudly about the inconsistent treatment of Superman's powers and his also-ran status.  That and the fact he is often beaten up by second-rate villains and acts like a dumb jock.  The fan-favourite on the show is Hawkgirl.  Go figure.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L