superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:50:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman as a Super-Leader  (Read 9882 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Perhaps I mentioned this before, but my personal favorite JLA chairperson was the Gerry Conway pet character, Zatanna. She bossed around valuable characters, showing a suprising degree of battle ability and grit. She bossed Superman around on several occasions.

I forgot about Zatanna --maybe because I hated that costume.  

Chairperson in JLA.  Chair in Avengers too, no?  Or is it a generic "team leader"?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 07:01:29 AM »

Is that when she was wearing that silly white costume? 'Cause I loved the fishnets and hotpants.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 07:56:47 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Perhaps I mentioned this before, but my personal favorite JLA chairperson was the Gerry Conway pet character, Zatanna. She bossed around valuable characters, showing a suprising degree of battle ability and grit. She bossed Superman around on several occasions.

I forgot about Zatanna --maybe because I hated that costume.  

Chairperson in JLA.  Chair in Avengers too, no?  Or is it a generic "team leader"?

Avengers leaders are called "team leaders." The term "chairperson" is also used, but inconsistently. Like the Legion of Super-Heroes, the Avengers vote for their leaders.

The position is given a higher degree of elevation in that team because, as a result of the more volatile personalities in that group, there is some jockeying for leadership position. The most famous of this was Hawkeye, who wanted Captain America's job during the early days of Stan Lee's run, until the two of them reached a mutual understanding.

"She looks at that over-aged square like he's the only joe in the room. Chicks only go after the guy that's top dog - just my luck it hadda be HIM!"

Other great Avengers leaders besides the famous Captain America include the Wasp (who was surprisingly competent despite a ditzy reputation - perhaps inspired by Zatanna's assumption of leadership position?), Hawkeye (whose acquisition of dignity and mellowing out is one of the great gradual alterations to characters in comics). Iron Man was chairperson on several occasions, as was Thor.

Quote from: "Permanus"
Is that when she was wearing that silly white costume? 'Cause I loved the fishnets and hotpants.

That's the white costume she wore in her Gerry Conway years, the white one. It was a good costume, but perhaps not "Zatanna."

Though the giant earrings with the "Zs" in them were pretty neat.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L