superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSupermanicaHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Do you think Alex Ross is on his right career path???  (Voting closed: April 17, 2006, 04:10:45 AM)
Yes, he is great - 7 (58.3%)
Yes, he is okay - 2 (16.7%)
He is so so to me - 1 (8.3%)
No, he doesn't do it for me - 1 (8.3%)
No, absolutely not - 0 (0%)
Who is Alex Ross - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alex Ross Superman is turning into a Bodybuilder, and Batman  (Read 11552 times)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is supposed to be.

Alex Ross is a great artist who really knows how to capture the grandeur,  and size these characters deserve. I don't think his Superman looks like a bodybuilder per-se, but he does follow the idea that in superhero artwork glorification of the human form is used to convey a sense of power and nobility. C'mon, this is Alex Ross we're talking about. Not Bart Sears.

I'm sure there is some degree of wanting to make Supermans muscles look cool or making Wonder Woman have a nice rearend, but I think that's still a far cry from some of the more blatant artwork out there where you can tell the artists have a copy of Penthouse and Muscle Fitness mags beside their board at all times.

I will say that I actually like Ross better when he's going over Doug Braithwates pencils in Justice. Are you sure you aren't mistaking things that Doug is doing in his art for Ross's own?

Dougs basic figure drawing approach has a bit more dynamics to it than Ross's own but he still brings with him a sense of light, shadow, and color that is second to none in the realm of painted superhero art.

As for the question of his career path? That's for him to decide. But as a superhero fan I'm really darn glad we have him.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 07:52:47 PM »

Alex Ross's Superman doesn't look anything like these guys: http://www.emusclemag.com/

You are confusing him with Ed McGuinness or something.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 08:06:44 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"

Let's not start this debate again. Seriously.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 09:03:33 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Quote from: "Super Monkey"

I don't think anyone would debate that he doesn't draw his characters like bodybuilders. There is no debate.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »

I don't think we need to worry about Alex Ross' career.  Smiley

That said, I find the more time passes, the less interested I am in his work.  For a while, I thought, "I wonder how he'd draw [insert character name here]," and that kept me coming back for more.  But now that I've seen his versions of pretty much every major DC and Marvel character, there's not much to keep me interested.  I just don't see enough variety and inventiveness in his layouts and poses to keep things exciting.

I love "Mythology" as a sort of album collecting Ross' take on all the DC big guns, but it occurs to me this "album" approach is much more enjoyable, in the end, than any of Ross' "comics" (Peace on Earth, War on Crime, etc).  For me, the true geniuses of comics are guys like Eisner, Cole, Kirby, Sprang, Gil Kane, etc...guys who remained unpredictable and innovative throughout their careers and could always surprise you with new ways of telling a story, visually.  Ross, in contrast, does nice majestic poses but there is rarely that sense of energy, enthusiasm and giddy chaos I associate with true "comics" (as opposed to pretty, painted panels).

Actually, I find some of Ross' pencil work more intriguing than his finished works, and almost wish he'd put away the paint brushes to try a new career as a penciller.

And I don't have an issue with Superman's muscles.  If anything, what bugs me about Ross' Superman is the same thing that bugged me about Bama's Doc Savage...he looks about 65 years old!

This looks like a job for...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 06:41:21 AM »

Personally, I think Superman ought to be physically impressive. Wayne Boring's version of the character has come under a lot of scrutiny recently, however, Superman should always look big, powerful and impressive, and Boring's art got this across pretty well, giving the character an incredible solidity and anatomy.

Superman is a Sampson and Hercules esque character whose primary feature is that he does amazing feats of strength; he ought to be George Reeves-esque.

I can't find a single bad thing to say about Alex Ross. How could I possibly denounce anybody that loves BATTLE OF THE PLANETS as much as Yours Truly?

Though in terms of painted covers, Alex Ross has a ways to go before he can catch up to the standard set by Steve Rude "the Dude." Now there was a talent!

Quote from: "Kuuga"

Wow, somebody needs a rage-dump. Smiley

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Though in terms of painted covers, Alex Ross has a ways to go before he can catch up to the standard set by Steve Rude "the Dude."

I agree, Rude's covers are bursting with life and do not look stiff like Ross's covers.

For example, check out this painting of Supergirl:
http://www.adelaidecomicsandbooks.com/Steve%20Rude/supergirl00.jpg

Another Supergirl Painting:
http://www.adelaidecomicsandbooks.com/Steve%20Rude/sgwwbg.jpg

Superman Vs The Hulk:
http://www.adelaidecomicsandbooks.com/Steve%20Rude/supermanhulk.jpg

two beauties enjoying soda at the beach:
http://www.adelaidecomicsandbooks.com/Steve%20Rude/cokefinal72.jpg

- Elliot S! Maggin
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »

Looking at Rude's works I get a Norman Rockwell vibe.

For Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Superman and other bright heroes the style feels right.

On the other hand, I don't know how it would do with the Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L