superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:30:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Superman who never fail more inspiring?  (Read 11081 times)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« on: January 14, 2006, 12:38:48 PM »

I was just thinking about that.

Of couse I'm against the Byrne - reboot, and againt a Superman who is always sel-doubting himself. I want him to be confident and effective.

But can Maggin, Donner and Morrison have gone too far in the oposite direction, even if it was the original concept of Siegel and Shuster?

Maggin said in Miracle Monday that Superman, realizing or not, could do no mistake. In the Richard Donner movie, Superman turn back time and bring back Lois back to life. Morrison Superman and JLA is unstopeble, a leader of humanity who also will never fail. Don't get me wrong, I love all of this, but...

Is it the most inspiring, in a personal level, than the hero who eventually fail and lern with it? Like in Superman: The Hidden Years?

Or the great icon of the other comic book company?
lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 04:13:42 AM »

I think that when Superman manages to beat the odds to win impossible odds, it sends a stronger message then simply accepting defeat: it encourages people to think "nothing's impossible, so long as you perservere."
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 04:24:41 AM »

That's what Jimmy and Lois are for --a human dimension to the tales of moral certitude and triumph over adversity.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »

Quote from: "lonewolf23k"
I think that when Superman manages to beat the odds to win impossible odds, it sends a stronger message then simply accepting defeat: it encourages people to think "nothing's impossible, so long as you perservere."

However there were things that even Superman could not do. He wound up in Krypton past numberous times and failed each time to change anything.  
The efforts to explain his inaction during WWII didn't come together until the
Spear of Destiny and Holy Grail ideas came along. He and luthor teamed up to end world hunger - another disaster.  His efforts at finding an antidote to Kryptonite were a total bust even thought Luthor supposedly made the original antidote from a lab Superman himself had built.

Yes there were time when Superman could beat the odds but there were oter time whent he odd should have been in his favor and he totally botched the job.
chris6909
Superman's Pal

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »

It would make for interesting reading if he made mistakes every once in a while.
Otherwise the outcome of each story is more or less predictable. I'd like to see Superman be more unpredictable. Imagine if we could see a bit more of his dark side when he fights his enemies. A more merciless Superman. Clark Kent with a bit of Wolverine's nature? I'd just love to see that!!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 01:12:59 PM »

Clark Kent with a bit of Wolverine's nature? I'd just love to see that!!

No, no, no! Remember the code! And I don't mean the comics code: I mean his personal code.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
chris6909
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »

I meant displaying a uncompromising nature when fighting villians, i.e. putting them down mercilessly - no mr. nice-guy.
Of course he shouln't go and off innocent bystanders. There's a distinction.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 03:29:38 PM »

well, the Golden Age Superman was like that, he also didn't have a no kill code, but this only lasted until 1942.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L