superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:18:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Returns - Costume  (Read 22299 times)
chris6909
Superman's Pal

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 01:28:02 PM »

Gents, sadly, in my opinion, you are missing my point.
Agreed, the FF and Spidey suits looked great. Especially the Spiderman suit looked fantastic. I've got no problem with a "multi-dimentional" costume with raised or accentuated insignia etc. With Spidey at least the proportions were kept largely intact.
Nor did I imply that Singer should be taking orders from the fans. I merely suggested that it would have been better to at least get their opnion on something as important as this, especially if you plan to make a couple of references to costume designs that dates back. Surely this will cause some controversy, hence all the discussions on this topic. And if you think I'M blasting this cossie, you should read some comments on other forums. Believe me, I'm still being kind.
Furthermore, to suggest that most of the current fan-base are idiots, is idiotic. Not to mention ignorant and arrogant.
There's good reason why designs evolve. I'm betting that I reflect the majority opinion. Does the majority opnion mean that it's right? I'd be the first to admit - not necessarily. But its worth some very serious consideration - if only from a revenue-based perspective.
There's a lot to be said for sentiment; more so modern sentiment, as this is what will make Superman survive.
GenCobra
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 07:18:19 AM »

There is nothing wrong with the costume impo.  Since I am probably twice the age of the posters of this forum I can tell you it's pretty accurate and true to superman.... except the person who's wearing it.... stinks.  Or maybe I should say who's not wearing it.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 01:14:36 PM »

chris6909 writes:

Nor did I imply that Singer should be taking orders from the fans. I merely suggested that it would have been better to at least get their opnion on something as important as this, especially if you plan to make a couple of references to costume designs that dates back. Surely this will cause some controversy, hence all the discussions on this topic. And if you think I'M blasting this cossie, you should read some comments on other forums. Believe me, I'm still being kind.

I don't think it's standard practice for movie-makers to ask fans how to make a movie, and I wouldn't want to see that precedent set, either.  If Singer did ask for fan input, he'd get all kinds of conflicting advice since there are fans of all ages who know Superman from wildly different periods and looks.  Whatever he did would have disappointed someone, so it's better not to even give the illusion they have a say in the matter.

You're right, not all fans are idiots, but when you get down to it the fans who write into message boards on the internet -- whether to praise or lambaste Singer -- are an incredibly miniscule and negligible portion of this film's eventual audience.  

And don't forget, Singer's a fan, too.  I suspect if most of these people complaining about the film were themselves handed the opportunity to make a big-budget Superman movie, they'd run right out and do it the way they always dreamed of doing it, without clearing everything with their buddies on the internet first.

There's good reason why designs evolve. I'm betting that I reflect the majority opinion. Does the majority opnion mean that it's right? I'd be the first to admit - not necessarily. But its worth some very serious consideration - if only from a revenue-based perspective.
There's a lot to be said for sentiment; more so modern sentiment, as this is what will make Superman survive.

This new costume isn't the pre-Crisis or Golden Age version, any more than it's the Byrne version.  That, in my book, makes it another step in the "evolution" you refer to.  So you should be happy!

GenCobra writes:

Since I am probably twice the age of the posters of this forum...

Wow.  All I can say is that for an 80-year-old, you're really handy with Photoshop!  :lol:

This looks like a job for...
GenCobra
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »

I'm 62 next month nightwing.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 06:33:29 PM »

Ah, that's not old.  Paul McCartney's 62 and he's spry as ever.

I'll be 41 soon, so you're still not twice as old as me.  But you may be the oldest member of this board, sure enough.  And it's a cinch you're the oldest Tom Welling fan I've ever "met"!

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 07:00:10 PM »

He is over twice as old as me, but not by much.

Anyway, welcome to the boards.

IMHO, Tom Welling  is far too young looking to play Superman, Superboy yes, but not Superman.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
GenCobra
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 02:35:42 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Ah, that's not old.  Paul McCartney's 62 and he's spry as ever.

I'll be 41 soon, so you're still not twice as old as me.  But you may be the oldest member of this board, sure enough.  And it's a cinch you're the oldest Tom Welling fan I've ever "met"!

I just watch too much tv. ha
The Last Son
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »

Well, hell. This is my very first post here, so I may as well make it count. I'm jsut going to say for the most part I don't much care for the Singer interpretation of the costume. What I'd like to see, is a costume that manages to captures almost 70 years of history, and still manages to be contemporary. That means something different to everyone. To me, It says a costume with a colour palette firmly locked into the primaries; not this muddy-neutral scheme that's being shown. His cape and boots are BROWN. I also think the cape should be more flowy and I prefer the open collar. Although it has been done in the comics, the close collar is not common at all, and just looks too staid. Same with the S belt buckle. A simple oval (the classic design) would have been better. A higher up sleeve (cut just above the wrist) would be nicer too (I just prefer it). Singer's shield is too small (should be bigger, though not huge) and not tactile, which I think just presents practical issues under a shirt. Anyway, before I ramble too much I'm attaching an image of what I think ought to be the colours in the film.

This amazing stragner from the planet Krypton!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L