superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought my first comic from a comic shop today...  (Read 15155 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 05:46:57 PM »

On the other hand I ordered some back issues of Plastic Man on Saturday and they arrived today! And thats with yesterday being a ntional holiday- now THAT's service! Cheesy
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »

I gave up completely buying new comics, and now only buy collections and graphic novels, the rule I have is that if I can't buy it at a real bookstore or Amazon, then I am not buying it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:02:04 PM »

Beppo, how the heck did you shrink and why start live in Alan Moore's beard!   :shock:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Beppo, how the heck did you shrink and why start live in Alan Moore's beard!   :shock:

Mr. Moore is is rather large fellow with a rather large beard, there was no need to shrink. He said that I could play with his typewritter Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 01:16:06 AM »

I bought plenty of new comics when I was a kid 10 years ago and you could buy comics in a regular store... and now I can't get rid of them. These Iron Age comics are nigh worthless, and not enjoyable to read either. I've finally decided to donate them all to Salvation Army, as I would get more money from a tax write-off than I would selling them on ebay.

As for All-Star Superman, I'm going to keep buying this. It's really good, and I think the next issue ships tomorrow.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 10:24:07 PM »

I absolutely love going to buy things at my comics shop, but that may be because I, unlike my shy friend Nightwing, am rather more of an outgoing type.

I love the store ambience, where I can go and chit-chat with the mildly autistic but kindly bearded guy that runs the place about topics like why Supergirl wears a headband when Kryptonians do not wear headbands, the differences between Amazonium and Adamantium, if it is possible that Doc Savage might be a Vulcan, the sort of weapon a paladin might use, and why it is that Black Panther was stated to be the greatest boxing champ in the entire continent of Africa but he never used that skill after his first appearance.

It's also very bizarre (but fun) to go after 5pm, when work stops and you get all these white collar types leaving their computer programming jobs, and heading to a comics store. So the conversation always drifts to either comics or how much they hate their jobs.

Loathe as I am to say it, though, because I *DO* so very much want to support the local store, one of the best places to buy comics these days is E-bay. Especially if it is a less well-known series.

For instance, I got AMETHYST: PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD series on there for less than a dollar (!) and the entire run of CRYSTARR: CRYSTAL WARRIOR for less than that.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 12:34:31 PM »

Here in London, that scene doesn't really exist so much, though I have been known to get embroiled in the odd "Who would win in a fight: Thor or Superman?"-type discussion. Most of the customers at Forbidden Planet seem to be goths (or maybe it just seems like most of them since they stick out so much), and I just get unnerved by shaved eyebrows and multiple piercings.

And then, like I say, there's that tattooed lady at the cashdesk. I'm a liberal, easy-going sort of chap, but she really makes me want to go "Young lady, if you were my daughter..." Middle age, here I come!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 02:35:43 PM »

Well, to back up a moment, I'm not saying it isn't fun to get in touch with your inner geek and have a long chat with a shop owner about some esoteric element of pop culture.  But even that creates a sort of "members only atmosphere" that can be off-putting to kids just getting into the hobby, or parents who already think comics are for nuts, anyway.

Back to my local shops; the first place I mentioned, you might get that kind of discussion depending on who's working.  Or they might want to talk about Buffy, anime or Stargate in which case I'm lost.  At the second place, you're more likely to get a lecture on the investment potential of a certain book than a loving dissertation on a character's half-forgotten history.  And at the third place, I usually get a, "hey, I just work here.  Personally I don't even like comic books."

The one thing a comic shop...or any bookstore...does offer is the magic of browsing.  Some of the most treasured books in my library are things I stumbled across in some out-of-the-way bookstore on one trip or other, usually books I didn't even know existed but now can't live without.  The internet is great for finding what you want and getting it cheap, but you're a lot less likely to make discoveries that way, and for me, no subject is so interesting as the one I'll discover tomorrow.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L