superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #4 - Super Spoilers  (Read 18923 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 03:19:55 AM »

a page-by-page guide to issue number four:
http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f69dc153b3f538e61b450d8183aa1b0b&threadid=56341

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 01:49:28 PM »

A lot to comment here about, fellows.

First, Barry Allen is not back.  No, he's not dead, but he's trapped in the Speed Force.

Second, my friend Julian must be very happy because the Speed Force is gone.  This is probably a good move, since the Speed Force is like some of the pseudo science used in various Trek shows, a catch all to solve various problems.  In fact, it was used to solve the problem of getting rid of Superboy Prime.

Third, disgusting that Superboy Prime is revealed as a maniac.  How could he have hidden this from Kal-L and Lois all this time?

Fourth, it does look like Bart's going to be the Flash, at least until he can find Wally.

Fifth, was that Madam Rouge I saw with the Brotherhood?  Wasn't she dead way back during Wolfman's run on Titans?

Sixth, Bludhaven's destroyed.  Chemo-icaled bombed by the Brotherhood.  Why?  Seems only designed to get Nightwing back in Gotham eventually.

Seventh, I don't believe for a second that Earth 2 is staying.  They've made Kal-L a dupe, Alexander Luthor no better than any of the Lex's, and Superboy Prime a killer.  No doubt the revived Earth 2 will be as dark as DC Universe Earth has become.  They will also say that the two earths are so unstable they have to combine once again.  Alexander will be defeated or destroyed and Kal and Lois will be banished somewhere else after it's revealed they've been made pawns and dupes by Alexander and Prime.

End result is a darker, more depressing DC Universe.  

Sorry guys but this is the way I feel.

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 03:54:45 PM »

BLECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH :evil:
Anonymous
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 02:12:27 AM »

i recently picked up coie and there is a comment in it about the new earth being dark.. maybe it always was...
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 07:55:09 PM »

There is speculation that the writers are making IC excessively dark and violent in order to get it out of their systems before the new, brighter, more heroic DCU arrives. It will sharpen the contrast between the old DCU and the new one. I hope that's the case, but I'm not overly optimistic.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »

That's an interesting theory but I'm not sure I buy it.

Try this scenario:  they go all-out crazy with blood and guts as a "farewell" to that sort of content.  The series sells like hotcakes and gets everyone all excited (which seems to be happening).  So some bean-counter comes down from on high and says, "Whatever you're doing to sell all those books, keep it up...and do it in every book we publish!"

And voila...we enter a period that makes the Dark Age look like a Smurfs episode.

This looks like a job for...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »

Quote from: "DoctorZero"
A lot to comment here about, fellows.

First, Barry Allen is not back.  No, he's not dead, but he's trapped in the Speed Force.

I did like that panel where it had all the speedsters that went into the Force emerge again to lend aid like Valkyries from Valhalla.

Just because you're dead doesn't mean you can't pull a few guest-shots here and there. The one thing about the Speed Force that I actually LIKED was that it meant that dead Speedsters could reappear and be used dramatically in future stories, without the awkward necessity of "bringing them back to life." The ultimate have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too situation. Yet this aspect of the Speed Force was not utilized (until now) except in the "Jonny Quick's giant head in the clouds smiling down at everybody" way, with emphasis given to the more banal and mind-destroying aspects of the concept, personified by "costumes of solidified speed" and "I'll stop those bullets by removing the speed from them!"

Second, my friend Julian must be very happy because the Speed Force is gone.  This is probably a good move, since the Speed Force is like some of the pseudo science used in various Trek shows, a catch all to solve various problems.  In fact, it was used to solve the problem of getting rid of Superboy Prime.

I think I may have mentioned it, but I love my boy Geoff Johns. Cheesy

Third, disgusting that Superboy Prime is revealed as a maniac. How could he have hidden this from Kal-L and Lois all this time?  

I agree with nightwing that the scene where Superboy-Prime goes on a rampage was excessive; the art could have been toned down considerably and we could have gotten the same effect. Nightwing once complained that he is irritated by the aftereffects of death; ...you know, somehow, I don't think we're going to see any of these Titans again.

Although while the first instinct may be to shout "wow, they're written wildly out of character," there still is quite a lot of miniseries left to explain their actions and place them into context. The possibility of mind-wiping and brainwashing cannot be ignored.

Fourth, it does look like Bart's going to be the Flash, at least until he can find Wally.

This concept is aggrivating because Bart, when written by Waid, was an obnoxious snot. However, in recent times, Geoff Johns has characterized Bart and Superboy as achieving a great deal of maturity and leaving behind the short attention spans, tv-watching, and immature horn doggery that made them such annoying pains to read. Geoff Johns managed to do the impossible and get me to like these characters when he gave them maturity and had them age. If where he is going with the "Bart as Flash" subplot is placing young Kid Flash in a situation where he acquires dignity and maturity and adulthood, I'm all in favor of it.

Sixth, Bludhaven's destroyed.  Chemo-icaled bombed by the Brotherhood.  Why?  Seems only designed to get Nightwing back in Gotham eventually.

Another choice I agree with. Bludhaven lacked Gotham's style and personality and art deco, and had all of its recent attitudes of nihilism and grime; it was an inferior redundancy that is now corrected, and serves to add the bonus of getting the Batman family together.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 11:25:11 PM »

barf.

I bought the first two issues of IC....thanks to reviews like this, I have not wasted my money on the latest two.

Sigh....and I had such high hopes for the outcome....now I am wondering if it will even be worthwhile for me to buy Supergirl after this...DO I even care if Kara Zor-El exists in a darker DC?

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L