superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #4 - Super Spoilers  (Read 18934 times)
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 12:56:07 AM »

I once recommended that one of my students in school read a copy of one of my favorite Beverly Cleary books ---- Socks.  I remember telling her that she would laugh and cry and laugh again as she read the book.  She came up to me after reading the sad part of the book saying that she didn't want to finish it that she just couldn't see how the book would have a happy ending.  I asked her this simple question "how do you know that until you have finished the book?"  She finished the book and loved it so much she had her mother read it.

Now how this relates to Infinite Crisis ----- I don't see how you can really judge this series on the basis of just four issues.  After issue seven and the other three Infinite Crisis Specials and Secret Files special I truly feel that is when we should judge IC.

As for the way Superboy Prime is being portrayed - well he appeared in less than what six issues back in 1985.  Plus what if Alex is controlling him using the Psycho Pirate?  I don't have a problem with how is being portrayed at this point as long as it is explained or explored in the last three issues.

As for Kal-l - I am betting in the end he is the real hero and saves the day just as he did during COIE.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 02:20:05 AM »

Quote from: "Dylan Clearbrook"
....now I am wondering if it will even be worthwhile for me to buy Supergirl after this...DO I even care if Kara Zor-El exists in a darker DC?

Dylan

I don't think it will matter, as long as she isn't part of the darker DC!

So far, she's been given her own space. Characters need that...Captain Marvel and Aquaman thrown in with other teams, without their own worlds to explore, hasn't worked out, for example. As long as she keeps her own space, she'll been fine. If she becomes affected by every single summer crossover, then she'll be a part of the darker DC and you'll have cause to worry...

Until then, play it safe and read All-Star Superman! Smiley

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2006, 03:26:45 AM »

Now how this relates to Infinite Crisis ----- I don't see how you can really judge this series on the basis of just four issues. After issue seven and the other three Infinite Crisis Specials and Secret Files special I truly feel that is when we should judge IC.

I see your point about the Cleary book, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect, but every time I hear this argument I have to wonder if the person making it isn't on the dole at DC.

"Don't judge Dark Knight Strikes Again til it's over," people said, "Frank's going to pull it all out at the end."  Flash forward a couple years and they're saying the same thing about All-Star Batman.  And so on.  Meanwhile we shell out 3, 4, 6 bucks an issue for stuff we don't even like based on the vague promise (blind hope) that, when it's all over, it will somehow prove worth it.  "Trust us, a few months from now, it'll all fall into place."  Right.  Frankly, DC used up that kind of trust a LONG time ago.

So, what if we get to the end and it's NOT a good story?  What if the final pay-off isn't worth the dreck it took to get there?  Then we're out about 60 bucks with nothing to show for it, and we get back on the merry go round to do it all over again with the next cruddy series.

To everyone who says, "keep spending your money and maybe the last part of the story will make up for the beginning," I say, don't buy anything until the series is over and then, once you know what happens and the verdict is in, *consider* buying the trade.

I hope better things are in store for DC, and it'll be nice if IC is the event that brings it on.  But given this company's track record, I'll believe it when I see it.  And given their penchant for collecting EVERYTHING, good or bad, I feel confident there will be an IC TPB available down the road if I really want it (though in this case I know I won't, since no comic with this kind of gore belongs in a house with two young children).

This looks like a job for...
Anonymous
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 04:00:45 AM »

just to nitpick... kara's skirt was as short in 1985 as it was in 2005.
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 04:06:01 AM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Now how this relates to Infinite Crisis ----- I don't see how you can really judge this series on the basis of just four issues. After issue seven and the other three Infinite Crisis Specials and Secret Files special I truly feel that is when we should judge IC.

I see your point about the Cleary book, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect, but every time I hear this argument I have to wonder if the person making it isn't on the dole at DC.

"Don't judge Dark Knight Strikes Again til it's over," people said, "Frank's going to pull it all out at the end."  Flash forward a couple years and they're saying the same thing about All-Star Batman.  And so on.  Meanwhile we shell out 3, 4, 6 bucks an issue for stuff we don't even like based on the vague promise (blind hope) that, when it's all over, it will somehow prove worth it.  "Trust us, a few months from now, it'll all fall into place."  Right.  Frankly, DC used up that kind of trust a LONG time ago.

So, what if we get to the end and it's NOT a good story?  What if the final pay-off isn't worth the dreck it took to get there?  Then we're out about 60 bucks with nothing to show for it, and we get back on the merry go round to do it all over again with the next cruddy series.

To everyone who says, "keep spending your money and maybe the last part of the story will make up for the beginning," I say, don't buy anything until the series is over and then, once you know what happens and the verdict is in, *consider* buying the trade.

I hope better things are in store for DC, and it'll be nice if IC is the event that brings it on.  But given this company's track record, I'll believe it when I see it.  And given their penchant for collecting EVERYTHING, good or bad, I feel confident there will be an IC TPB available down the road if I really want it (though in this case I know I won't, since no comic with this kind of gore belongs in a house with two young children).

If only I was on DC's pay role!!!!!!

I repect both you and your opinion and I also was burned on the DK2 books by Miller (however my father in law loved DK2) and I dropped a lot of titles afterwards due to being ripped off by DC and Miller.  I might be burned once again by DC and from what I am seeing so far I am on the borderline --- yes I hate that Darkness has spread out over the DC Universe over the past few years but I truly believe that the way DC has built up this series over the last two years that perhaps DC is on the verge of a more appealing DC Universe but that is only my opinion.  If I feel I am being ripped off again well then I plan to drop even more titles and let my wallet vote for me again.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2006, 09:15:27 AM »

Quote from: "lastkryptonianhere"
- I don't see how you can really judge this series on the basis of just four issues

Let me help you out. Cheesy

Hold the first issue up.  Look at the ugly art.  Determine that it is an ugly comic book, one in a series of cynical annual crossovers published by an artistically and editorially clueless company.  Do not read.  QED.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 03:54:43 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
- I don't see how you can really judge this series on the basis of just four issues

Let me help you out. Cheesy

Hold the first issue up.  Look at the ugly art.  Determine that it is an ugly comic book, one in a series of cynical annual crossovers published by an artistically and editorially clueless company.  Do not read.  QED.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I don't think that the art is ugly at all --- now anime that to me is ugly art but to each this own.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 04:51:23 AM »

to each this own.

A beautiful sentiment.

Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L