superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:33:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A great hero deserves great enemies  (Read 11021 times)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« on: January 18, 2006, 06:35:22 PM »

I haven't seen any interesting supervillain in the Superman comics since Euphor (1982!).
Ruin is an exception, and maybe a couple of others, but I can't believe that Superman hasn't met great enemies in the last 25 years circa.

And those names...
Doomsday? Blaze? Massacre? Names which tell everything about those characters. Sigh.

Is creating new valid foes so difficult today?

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 06:51:30 PM »

I think Manchester Black and The Elite were very interesting, and they chalenged the Man of Steel in an intelligent way. There is also Solar from DC One Million.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 08:46:35 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
I haven't seen any interesting supervillain in the Superman comics since Euphor (1982!).
Ruin is an exception, and maybe a couple of others, but I can't believe that Superman hasn't met great enemies in the last 25 years circa.

And those names...
Doomsday? Blaze? Massacre? Names which tell everything about those characters. Sigh.

I agree with everything you posted. Superman does need new, credible enemies.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:48:25 PM »

Quote from: "Superman Forever"
I think Manchester Black and The Elite were very interesting, and they chalenged the Man of Steel in an intelligent way.

Indeed. The reason Black was such an effective villain was because he was basically the Iron Age in human form. Too bad they killed him off...

Superman causing him to cry was great.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 03:41:15 AM »

Yes, the Superman of pre-1982 was better, not least because of the villains: Luthor, Brainiac, Terra-Man, Mxy, The Phantom Zone Villains, Metallo, Prankster, Toyman, Ultra-Humanite, Parasite, Kryptonite Man, CW Saturn, Toybee, Darkseid, Xviar [Mr. Xavier], Amalak, and the rest:

http://superman.nu/wiki/index.php/Category:Villains

Post '82?  I don't envy you your choices, although there were some great bad guys right until Crisis, including Vandal Savage (under Wolfman).  I think one of the big regrets that Superman fans have is that his Rogue's Gallery, while awesome, does not hold the same level of interest that Btaman's or the Flash's do, for whatever the reason.  The vast majority of Superman villains were one-offs, it seems to me, and the Bronze Age under Bates and Maggin seemed to favour this formula. Wolfman and Perez created a better Rogue's Gallery for the Titans in the 80s than Superman ever got (although a bit gruesome for my current super-refined sensibilities: Brother Blood, Trigon, Brotherhood, Terminator --very 80s).

Iron Age?

Morrison's JLA villains were great (although maybe a bit too much for one man, however super he may be).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »

Superman's classic enemies are a great rogue gallery. So, if authors don't create new good enemies, I hope to see the old guys treated well. I'd like to see again Euphor, the Master Jailer(already re-introduced, see "Ending battle", 2002) and the robotic Brainiac... I think Brainiac hasn't used well in the post-Crisis era, except for some stories.
Glad to see Luthor with his armor again.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 09:14:12 AM »

I haven't really been following the contemporary series that much since the early 90s, but I rather liked the revamped Terra-Man, the eco-terrorist who used some kind of super-science. I think Jerry Ordway redesigned the character. The Eradicator was a pretty good idea, but not very well brought off in my opinion, and they went on to make it far too complicated.

Apart from that, I can't really say any of the villains in later times have had much impact on me.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
chris6909
Superman's Pal

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 10:42:12 AM »

I think it would be great if we could see Supes handle some of the Marvel villians. Not that I think that a calaboration like that will happen....ever. But still, wouln't it be great entertainment?

And not only the villians, bit the heroes as well. And I'm not talking about mightiest hero of one universe going up against the other, ie Supes vs Hulk, which was crap anaway, cause there's no way Hulk could put Supes down considering the comparible power levels of each. The fact that Hulk is 7,9 or 15 ft tall and weighs a 1000 lbs and looks meaner than a T-Rex, doesn't make more powerful. Supes's power level and ability-range, if you compare it realistically, far outweights that of the Hulk's. Problem is; you leave the outcome to the fans and the result can be unrealistic. Then again, Marvel wouln't want to lose and nor would DC.

Anaway, I thought it would be interesting to see Supes go up against the  X-men or use Iron Man to light Wolverine's cigar. What about Supes & Sub-Mariner? Any thoughts on this?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L