superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preview: ALL STAR SUPERMAN #2  (Read 12810 times)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« on: January 19, 2006, 04:33:14 PM »

Enjoy!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 12:02:03 AM »

Wow, that splash page looks terrific, though three pages on Lois and Superman having a conversation? Lousy decompressed storytelling. I wasn't about to point it out, however, because Quitely's art is so breathtaking.

I absolutely dig the whole Silver Age style cover. What IS the secret of the forbidden room? I mean, I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting antsy in my pantsy to find out and a month is just TOO long. This was the beautiful thing about Silver Age covers, even at their very worst: 1) they were often done by Curt Swan and Neil Adams, and 2) they made you eager to get to the contents inside. What IS the secret of "Silver Kryptonite?" Why IS that guy King of the Giant Mechanical Ants?

For that matter, movie posters that are basically headshots bother me for the same reason: what happened to the gorgeous painted ones that have a robot carrying a voluptuous blonde?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 12:26:29 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Wow, that splash page looks terrific,

I gotta point out.... It's actually HALF of the actual splash page in the comic (Buzzscope only showed one page).
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 12:40:55 AM »

The cover looks amazing and the artwork looks awesome. I sure wish these were released monthly, but I suppose they are well worth the wait, though the TPB seems to be so far away.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 02:18:54 AM »

Impressive! Lois seems to look less like Jennifer Lopez in this issue...

I'm happy to report that I subscribed to A.S.S. today on the DC website. *immature chuckle*

However, I think it takes 6-8 weeks to get your first issue, so I'll have to pick this one up at my "local comic shop," which is over an hour away.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 04:42:20 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Impressive! Lois seems to look less like Jennifer Lopez in this issue...

It's funny you mention Jennifer Lopez.  When you read the second issue, you'll see what I mean.
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:20:56 AM »

Loved it. God, after all the grim 'n gritty dreck it can be so refreshing to find a superhero comicbook that knows what it is but doesn't take itself ironically; it is what it is and it revels in it. Grant Morrison is a mad god, between this work and his Seven Soldiers stuff I'm in fanboy heaven.

So much about this issue is grand. It's like coming home again and finding out that the old playground wasn't torn down, but has only expanded and become even more enjoyable. Morrison's dialogue is great. This is the Earth-1 Superman, make no mistake. The exchange between Lois and Superman at the beginning of the issue was golden.

" What  happened to the big golden key? The one you used to have? "

" Didn't think it was secure enough. "

" So you and Batman nixed the Toyman's plan to turn Gotham City into his own personal Disneyland of Death? How is he? "

" Batman? Great. You know Batman. "

" Robin? "

" Great kid. I always wondered if I should have taken a partner. "

Hehe.

Quitely's art is great in widescreen. I'm warming to it a bit, but he's still no Chris Sprouse ( I know, I know. But c'mon. It would've been awesome.) The Fortress looks so incredibly cool. But what's up with the Superman robots? I mean neat, yeah. . .but still. Kooky.

I won't spoil the rest, but this issue is a real treat. It's comicbook fun that doesn't take itself seriously or laugh at the 'pithy' conventions of the genre. Superman is Superman, he's powerful and good, and he's coming clean with Lois. Or he would, if she believed for a second he was really Clark Kent. Wink

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 09:47:51 AM »

I love the Silver/Bronze age cover style.

Today, we have a lot of pin ups... But I want covers, not pin ups!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L