superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preview: ALL STAR SUPERMAN #2  (Read 12801 times)
Rugal 3:16
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 11:19:34 AM »

I LOVED the issue with only one flaw.

I almost THREW UP when Lois called Sups "Superman" (Gosh how materialistic) She shoud at least call him Kal El

Otenami Haiken to iko ka
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »

Wow! Superblacksmith! He looks pretty impressive forging the miniature sun. Do you think he somehow going to feed his excess solar energy to the baby sun-eater?

One thing I at first liked, but am now getting a bit tired of -- Isn't Superman just a little bit too aloof? I know Morrison's rationale with making him completely relaxed; when you've got that much power, it's going to take a lot to faze you, but he's almost the Superfonz here.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »

I enjoyed it so much I started a separate thread. My bad.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 04:08:14 PM »

Quote from: "Rugal 3:16"
I LOVED the issue with only one flaw.

I almost THREW UP when Lois called Sups "Superman" (Gosh how materialistic) She shoud at least call him Kal El

She must be a real friend then, Superman is his nickname, once a friend of yours has a nickname, you never call them by their birthname.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 05:21:29 PM »

I thought his nickname was "Smallville". Of course, she still doesn't buy that he's actually Clark. Why would she call him Kal-El? I know it's his real name, but nobody ever calls him that; he himself probably thinks of himself as "Clark".

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
I thought his nickname was "Smallville". Of course, she still doesn't buy that he's actually Clark. Why would she call him Kal-El? I know it's his real name, but nobody ever calls him that; he himself probably thinks of himself as "Clark".

Well, I have more than one nickname, and no one calls him Kal-El other than other people from Krypton. Batman calls him Clark.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Quote from: "Permanus"

Well, I have more than one nickname, and no one calls him Kal-El other than other people from Krypton. Batman calls him Clark.

I think it depends on the person. I've noticed that extremely powerful heroes (like Wonder Woman) tend to call him "Kal."

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »

I loved it. Prime sense of wonder stuff that is the essense of what sometimes draws me to Superman.  The dwarf-star-matter-key, the young sun-eater as a pet...although personally I would have used a small fusion reactor to make minaiture suns rather than something mystic from New Olympus...

Still, Superman does have a touch of the hubris that he sometimes exhibits. He said he wouldn't lie to Lois, but he DID lie, in the "never better" after the sun-bath comment.  I know he's doing it for her sake, but she'll resent him all the more when she finds out...which she will.

I have this secret theory though, about the Fortress. I bet he uses it as a giant isolation chamber. Think about it. Hundreds of miles from civilization, from the constant noise of the city---granted he only needs a little sleep, it must be hard to get to sleep while hearing what half of Metropolis is doing, smell half the odors, pungent and unpungent, in Metropolis. If he opens his eyes, he can see through 344 Clinton Street's apartment walls and through half the city....

He NEEDS something like the Fortress. I bet those walls are sound-proof as can be, so he just hears the keening of arctic winds, and is probably lead lined over most of it, so he can look out from certain viewpoints but for the rest is blessedly able to block it out.

Hence, the name he lifted from Doc Savage, "The Fortress of Solitude".

--Al.

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L