superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will an old-fashioned Superman fly? - Chicago Tribune  (Read 6086 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: January 19, 2006, 08:56:55 PM »

I thought this was a great article, with interviews of both Brandon Routh and Bryan Singer. Therefore, I share it with you now:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=news&start=1&num=2&q=http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/cl-ca-superman15jan15,1,3742708.story%3Fcoll%3Dchi-entertainmentfront-hed

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 03:28:25 AM »

Everything I've read about this picture adds to my enthusiasm.

This interview rightfully pointed out that the success of the first movie was due to veteran cast combined with newcomers. This picture has Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey, PLUS that Tad Hamilton girl and Brandon Routh.

I also loved that they did a lot by creating new sets. One of the great trends in recent films has been to not rely exclusively on CGI and supplement it with something that can actually give a sense of solidity. Witness HITCHIKER'S GUIDE and NARNIA's liberal use of puppetry and locations.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
jimmyolsen8
Superman Fan

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:13:09 AM »

Great article.

I too get jazzed everytime I read about it.

Singer's got it right - tying into the original films, bridging the decades and getting us up to speed.

June 30th seems ages away..

Viva La Krypton!
RedSunOfKrypton
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 07:38:05 PM »

I'd love to see all those alternate costumes they mention at the beginning of the article.

"...and as the fledgeling Man of Steel looks for the first time over the skyline of this city, this, Metropolis, he utters the syllables with which history is made and legends are forged: This, looks like a job...for Superman."
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:21:19 PM »

Singer's got it right - tying into the original films, bridging the decades and getting us up to speed.

I hope he's right.  Personally this remains the one big sticking point for me; I'd have preferred a fresh vision.  All due respect to Donner and Reeve, who are/were great guys, I'm not in the camp who believes Superman:The Movie and Superman 2 were the "definitive" take on the Man of Steel.  

There's also the little problem of continuity.  Superman's very last words in "Superman 2" were an apology to the President of the United States for going missing when trouble came up.  "Sorry I let you down, sir.  It won't happen again."

The idea that he would then turn around and immediately abandon Earth for SIX YEARS just doesn't add up for me.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 09:15:30 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
There's also the little problem of continuity.  Superman's very last words in "Superman 2" were an apology to the President of the United States for going missing when trouble came up.  "Sorry I let you down, sir.  It won't happen again."

Nightwing, haven't you heard that WB is releasing a new Special Edition of "Superman 2"?  They're adding in all the lost Marlon Brando footage, and letting Richard Donner re-cut the film.  They've also changed that last bit of dialogue so that Superman now says, "Sorry I let you down, sir.  I'm going back to Krypton to make sure there are no more threats and this never happens again."

:wink: S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
They've also changed that last bit of dialogue so that Superman now says, "Sorry I let you down, sir.  I'm going back to Krypton to make sure there are no more threats and this never happens again.":wink: S!

You left out the part where he says "peace out suckers, and flys away".

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 06:04:02 PM »

And as he flies off he changes from SuperMAN to SuperBOY.  :roll:  :wink:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L