superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:24:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Score! (Superman finds off the beaten path)  (Read 5638 times)
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« on: January 20, 2006, 08:08:57 AM »

You ever have a day where you're off to do one thing but you stumble across a pleasant surprise? Like cleaning out your wallet and finding a government cheque for $60, or finding a book you'd thought lost forever? I had one of those days yesterday.

I was at Fair's Fair books in downtown Calgary, peddling resumes (I currently work in IT hell and I need to escape desperately. Well-paying it may be, but it is no longer even remotely fun) when I came across one of the old DC HEROES roleplaying reference books. Fair's Fair is a secondhand bookstore that's been pretty good to me in terms of rare finds, and this one is a doozy; its the Superman sourcebook.

I'm a roleplaying geek from way back and I possess a number of these supplements, hard to track down as they are these days. I have the Post-Crisis Superman sourcebook, which is okay but was never the one I really wanted. This book covers the Pre-Crisis Superman in depth, as well as the Earth-2 Superman. It's got stats and crunchy bits on everything pre-Crisis, from Krypton to Superbaby, boy, and man. All the classic foes, from Luthor in the purple 'n green power armor to metallic Brainiac, even Ambush Bug! Schematics of the Fortress, profiles of the Earth-2 Superman, Lois, and Alexei Luthor. . .this baby's a treasure trove for Pre-Crisis Superman goodies. It's got the supermobile for God's sake. Wink

I suppose this post lacks a point really; though I was curious if any of you have found Super-finds in your travels that you never expected to see and snatched them from the jaws of obscurity. Makes you feel good doesn't it?

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 08:19:36 AM »

Defender, I thought Calgary is a boom-town!  What about a job in the oil industry?

One of my fave finds was a small collection of Toronto Star Sunday comics sections featuring 40s Superman strips in a local antique mall.  I always find comics-related items while antique hunting, but this was a little out of the ordinary for me.  Especially because they were cheap: less than $10 each.

I wonder if this thread will get moved to the Trophies section....

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:04:08 PM »

wonder no more  :wink:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

It's like magic...

Super-Monkey: your post was off-topic!  What about your score?

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »

I finally tracked down one of those 1st Edition Superman sourcebooks(I do have 2nd edition of that book and the Atlas to the DC Universe).  The cover is a bit sun-faded, but I more interested in the contents.  Besides, I have the two most sought after sourcebooks for DC Heroes(Green Lantern Corps and Magic)  I might as well as go after some of the others I'm missing.  Smiley

Since I do have The Dragon issues 1-250 on CD-Rom,  plus the issue in question: I do have a full bio on Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl as well as ideas on how she survived the Crisis.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »

Quote from: "ShinDangaioh"
I do have a full bio on Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl as well as ideas on how she survived the Crisis.

My idea is that that happened in some other multiverse.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »

Earth A, Earth 1A, Earth Q, Earth S(Animated), Earth S(lLive Action), and Earth 2A are so close to other Earths, they could have been missed by the Anti-Monitor(He could have thought those universes were really Earth 1(A and 1A), Earth 2(2A) and when Earth 1 and 2 vanished from his scope, he missed the fact those three were still there). Same goes for Earth Q, since it was a reflection of Earth X(but WWII ended on time)

The blurbs?
ONE PANEL:
During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, The Anti-Monitor destroyed over a thousand universes. He missed some of them.

ONE PANEL:
From a distance, a rainbow has seven colors. However, when you examine the colors of a rainbow very closely, you'll see differing shades. The same goes for these universes

ONE PANEL:
It's these slight variations of the universes that the Anti-Montior destroyed that pulled through the Crisis. From a distance, they looked like they were part of another universe. But, they were induvidual universes.

ONE PANEL:
Let's go take a look at theese slight variations on the destroyed universes.

FOUR PANELS to undo the Crisis on Infinite Earths.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 02:39:11 AM »

Or, when they reprint Crisis, they could paste in the "This is an imaginary story..." line that they removed from the Alan Moore TPB.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L