superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tim Daly & Dana Delany return to Superman  (Read 6825 times)
BMK!
Superman Family

« on: January 24, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »

From the January 30th edition of TV Guide, available Jan 26th.

Dana Delany and Tim Daly will reprise their roles from Superman: The Animated Series with an all-new DVD movie from Warner Bros. Animation later this year.

In Superman: Brainiac Attacks, the Man of Steel faces a combined threat from his two biggest foes, Lex Luthor and Brainiac. But perhaps even more daunting will be getting in touch with his feelings for Lois.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:16:50 PM »

Quote from: "BMK!"

Dana Delany and Tim Daly will reprise their roles from Superman: The Animated Series with an all-new DVD movie from Warner Bros. Animation later this year.

In Superman: Brainiac Attacks, the Man of Steel faces a combined threat from his two biggest foes, Lex Luthor and Brainiac. But perhaps even more daunting will be getting in touch with his feelings for Lois.

This sounds exciting.

My favorite version of Brainiac BY FAR is the robot head ship version seen in the Animated Series. The Brainiac connection to Krypton is the best idea anybody ever had about the character since Wolfman revised him, because it meant a connection existed between himself and Superman, whereas previously Superman picked him up and added Brainiac to his Rogue's Gallery, not unlike gum found on the bottom of his shoes. Brainiac had a REASON for being a Superman enemy.

Although one thing that does indeed bother me is the idea that they're leading up to a Superman/Lois relationship. I always found it admirable that the cartoon had the courage to NOT have them kiss for sweeps week, that their relationship was more interesting and more complicated if it excluded romantic intimacy and wasn't consummated.

The moment Mulder and Scully started necking was the moment that the X-FILES jumped the shark.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:19:57 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Quote from: "BMK!"

My favorite version of Brainiac BY FAR is the robot head ship version seen in the Animated Series. The Brainiac connection to Krypton is the best idea anybody ever had about the character since Wolfman revised him, because it meant a connection existed between himself and Superman, whereas previously Superman picked him up and added Brainiac to his Rogue's Gallery, not unlike gum found on the bottom of his shoes. Brainiac had a REASON for being a Superman enemy.

I agree the TAS Brainiac is by far my favorite version I really liked the Krypton/ Jor-el connection.
TheLastSonof84
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 03:42:35 AM »

Oh, I am so looking forward to this. And I have to agree... this animated Brainiac has been my favorite version of him to date. As for Superman and Lois perhaps getting closer in a relationship... well, that would better bridge the gap of their relationship between Superman and Justice League Unlimited. Then again, Legacy did end with them kissing if I recall correctly.

"I don't care that no one has ever stopped you before. The moment you set down on my world... The moment you took one innocent life... You left me no choice but to stop you!"- Superman, Superman (Volume 2) #172.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:29:05 AM »

In my opinion the best Brainiac was the Legion of Doom version from Challenge of the Superfriends!  

I'd hate to think that Superman's Rogues Gallery is just a collection of shoe-gum!  They all have reasons to hate Superman, usually explained in their intro strories (and if they have no reason to hate Superman before they begin their criminal careers, they sure do after!), and some (like the Phantom Zone villains) already have a connection to Krypton/Superman's past.  

Brainiac connected to Superman?  Yes: he stole Kandor!

I can see writers wanting to make some other connection, like the retcon of Luthor and the "I blame Superman for making me bald!" connection, but the new animated Brainiac soundss unneccesary.  Still, if they can shoe-horn it into the only slightly corrupted pre-Crisis continuity that seems to be what the animated shows are about, I say go for it.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 12:57:57 PM »

I like the angle used for the STAS Brainiac, but Telle's right: the Silver/Bronze Age version did have a connection to Superman in that he stole Kandor.

The World of Krypton mini-series, available online at this site, adds a cool twist in having Kandor be the site of Jor-El's developing fleet of escape ships.  Thus when Kandor vanishes, so does any hope of a mass exodus from the doomed planet.  This for me is one of the rare occasions when adding on to the origin story actually improves it (or at least fleshes it out and answers some questions).

The best part of the STAS Brainiac is that it allowed for some heroics from Jor-El, and introduced the idea of a blood feud between the computer intelligence and the House of El.

This looks like a job for...
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 04:20:14 AM »

I guess I'll have to watch, but what kind of heroics?

I liked the flashbacks in the comics when we saw into the early life of Jor-El.  Sometimes the presence of Superman in those stories, even as a kind of phantom observer, can be kind of creepy or distracting.  I would have loved a backup feature like "Young Jor-el, Boy Genius: The adventures of Superman's father when he was a boy!" without any of the cumbersome explanation of "how can Superman possibly learn all of this about his past without travelling back in time and falling in love on Krypton."

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 07:29:46 PM »

Yeah, sometimes I even thought that Kal tuning into transmissions from Krypton's past bouncing around the universe would have been a different way of handling it then always finding a convoluted way of placing him there.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L