superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:36:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: and the new ongoing Superman creative team is...  (Read 7445 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 11:28:07 PM »

For the 1st time in 20 years I am actually looking forward to reading an on-going regular Superman comic. This book and All-Star Superman, I think that finally everyone, old and new fans alike are excited again about Superman.

Now, who will be doing Action Comics and what about the new Superman series?

I know who I would like to see write those two books, but I don't know what DC has plan.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 12:24:31 AM »

And what a shock: the Iron Age fanboys are already raking Busiek over the coals for being "too Silver Age." The ringleader of the bunch, Man of the Atom, even dragged Busiek into an argument in which he tried to pressure Busiek into conforming to the Iron Age mentality of "1986-1999 holy writ, everything else bad."

If they're that upset about it, then it makes me keen to see what he's got in store. Matt Wagner, Mark Waid, and Darwyn Cooke were savaged for their "Silver Age/ anti-Byrne" material, and their works were some of the best Superman stories in recent memory. If Busiek's in the same vein, I'm all over it.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
prime nova
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 06:20:36 AM »

Growing up in the 80s, I liked Byrne's Superman just fine. Heck, I collected the books pretty much non-stop till a few years after the Death-Return dealio. Byrne's Superman is not a bad take on the character, but there's only so far that you can go with a "Marvelized" Superman.

It took me growing up to realize that Superman SHOULD be a fantasy comic. Superman comics cannot survive by being grounded in reality for long, as we have seen. It SHOULD be about hope and unbridled imagination. It took Alan Moore's pastiche, Supreme, to made me appreciate that fact by showing me that monthly example of how you can have sophistication and Silver Age whimsy and make it truly work.

That book became the first comic since my early days of collecting that I loved to read so much that I couldn't STAND that wait between issues. I had to have more. All-Star Superman has brought up much of those same feelings, but now there are regular reprints of SA Superman to help get thru the 60 day wait between issues.

Kurt's arrival on Superman couldn't have come at a better time, IMO. I'm starving for more good ole-fashioned Supes. Depending on who writes Action Comics I plan on subscribing to both titles again. I trust Kurt to sign on to a full year of Superman.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L