superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman/Batman theory  (Read 7045 times)
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: January 30, 2006, 10:38:26 PM »

I have a theory about what keeps drawing them together, despite their many differences.

Bruce Wayne is very similar to Superman. Handsome, lionized,  a "protector" of the city, albeit only in a financial selnse many women attracted to him. Bruce Wayne and Superman have a lot more in common than Superman/Batman.

On the other hand, Batman is an investigator, and used to being ...disturbing in appearance. Clark Kent is an ace reporter,  and often used to ferretting out secrets and knowing more than he lets on, and yet, not lionized for his appearance---although not feared, but rather mocked.

Bruce Wayne/Superman are alike...

Batman/Clark Kent are alike...

Each's costumed identity can find points of reference with the other's civilian identity, and vice versa.

---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 05:32:57 AM »

Quote from: "alschroeder"
I have a theory about what keeps drawing them together, despite their many differences.

Bruce Wayne is very similar to Superman. Handsome, lionized,  a "protector" of the city, albeit only in a financial selnse many women attracted to him. Bruce Wayne and Superman have a lot more in common than Superman/Batman.

On the other hand, Batman is an investigator, and used to being ...disturbing in appearance. Clark Kent is an ace reporter,  and often used to ferretting out secrets and knowing more than he lets on, and yet, not lionized for his appearance---although not feared, but rather mocked.

Bruce Wayne/Superman are alike...

Batman/Clark Kent are alike...

Each's costumed identity can find points of reference with the other's civilian identity, and vice versa.

---Al

Hmmm, interesting idea.

Clark Kent's skill as an investigative reporter, however, has been historically underplayed, and with rather good reason, though: 1) if Superman was really good at his job, he wouldn't be a put-upon loser, 2) being a great reporter is really Lois's thing, 3) Clark Kent is far too "mildmannered" to be any good at all at being a hardhitting, question asking investigative reporter.

Though Bruce Wayne as a millionaire was always shown to be a responsible, Tony Stark type whose employees are probably very well provided for. Clark Kent as a crusading reporter, probably has a sense of social justice that is deeply repressed to keep his Clark Kent cover inoffensive and meek. Why be a reporter, and not, say, an air traffic controller?

Incidentally, Al Shroeder, I just read your incredible Wold-Newton Geneology for Captain America, and it was magnificently conceived. The most stylish one was the link to that landscape painter named "Rogers." I especially like the idea that Jonny from the Fab 5 was responsible for Steve's recruitment for the Super Soldier Program. It makes Steve's selection less arbitrary.

And keep up the good work on MINDMISTRESS. It's the first, and only Webcomic I read as a standard.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:35:56 AM »

It's an interesting idea that each should be attracted to the other's disguise: Batman, who is Bruce's real self, feels he has more in common with Clark Kent, while Superman, Clark's real self, feels more drawn to the brash cardboard cut-out that is Bruce Wayne.

It's worth noting, too, that both of them are really rather secretive and retiring people who have been reluctantly pushed into the limelight. Bruce would probably rather stay in his cave and Clark is the repository for Superman's humanity.

Most other superheroes seem to have secret identities as a bit of an afterthought, but in the case of Batman and Superman , their dual natures are integrating parts of their characters. They probably recognise this in each other, and it draws them together.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 02:01:16 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Clark Kent's skill as an investigative reporter, however, has been historically underplayed, and with rather good reason, though: 1) if Superman was really good at his job, he wouldn't be a put-upon loser, 2) being a great reporter is really Lois's thing, 3) Clark Kent is far too "mildmannered" to be any good at all at being a hardhitting, question asking investigative reporter.

I sometimes wonder about that. I don't think Perry giving all those choice stories to Clark over Lois was just male chauvinism---I don't think Perry would let anything get in the way of a good story. I agree Clark is not hardhitting....but I bet he has an innoculous way of asking a question that gets people to reveal more than they really intended. Sort of like Columbo.

Incidentally, Al Shroeder, I just read your incredible Wold-Newton Geneology for Captain America, and it was magnificently conceived. The most stylish one was the link to that landscape painter named "Rogers." I especially like the idea that Jonny from the Fab 5 was responsible for Steve's recruitment for the Super Soldier Program. It makes Steve's selection less arbitrary.

And keep up the good work on MINDMISTRESS. It's the first, and only Webcomic I read as a standard.

Thanks on BOTH counts. I'm having fun with MINDMISTRESS, and I hope it shows.  I'm trying to keep a Silver Agish sense of wonder to it while exploring some different themes for a superhero(ine).

---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
laurel
Superman's Pal

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:19:51 PM »

hmmm.  I always figured it was an orphan thing.....

But I can tell you that Mr. Kent is worth more than a pennyworth as a father :shock:
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:14:51 PM »

Quote from: "laurel"

But I can tell you that Mr. Kent is worth more than a pennyworth as a father :shock:

Wow! You think Batman thinks of Superman as a father figure? You know, that could make sense... Clark is more settled than Bruce: at least he had adoptive parents. Bruce has only had Alfred and a whole bunch of teachers (martial arts experts, explosives experts, computer freaks and who knows what); he's had nothing to rebel against. Along comes Superman, a caring, stable person, and what does Bruce do? He challenges him, that's what. Tries to see how far he can take him. Much like a two-year-old does with his parents. Hmmm...

(I don't want to lay too much on you, but I lost my parents, one at a time, at a rather early age, so I sort of like this idea. I don't fight crime or anything, though. I'm a translator. I fight... misunderstandings or something.)

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 12:28:46 AM »

Clark Kent's skill as an investigative reporter, however, has been historically underplayed, and with rather good reason, though: 1) if Superman was really good at his job, he wouldn't be a put-upon loser, 2) being a great reporter is really Lois's thing, 3) Clark Kent is far too "mildmannered" to be any good at all at being a hardhitting, question asking investigative reporter. [...] Clark Kent as a crusading reporter, probably has a sense of social justice that is deeply repressed to keep his Clark Kent cover inoffensive and meek. Why be a reporter, and not, say, an air traffic controller?

I often wonder about similar issues.

Clark has won many prizes and been recognized by his peers on  umerous occasions for his acheivments as a journalist.  He was given a primetime newsreader job by WGBS.  Many of his stories are high profile and put him in professional and physical danger (both because of what he does as Superman to create the story and as a mild-mannered reporter to report it).  Granted, he's not a he-man weight-lifter like the John Byrne (who I hate*) version, but he is out there, fighting for truth (even Lois must figure that his scaredy-cat routine has let him scoop her many times).

*Just kidding Gangbuster Thorul!!! Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
laurel
Superman's Pal

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 12:48:17 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Quote from: "laurel"

Wow! You think Batman thinks of Superman as a father figure? You know,

i meant (jonathan) kent and (alfred) pennyworth...... silly  Tongue :wink:

i'm sorry about your parents.  do you think it makes you more understanding of others?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L