superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "The SECOND SUPERMAN!"  (Read 5066 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: January 31, 2006, 09:59:51 PM »

Last month, Richard Levins sent in another comic book scan: "The SECOND SUPERMAN!", a 1950s epic by Edmond Hamilton and Wayne Boring.
Quote from: "Richard"
This story is one of my all-time favorites from the Fifties. Sure, it has plot holes you could pilot an aircraft carrier through, but it was fun, and Wayne Boring's space scenes, for all their Buck Rogers quaintness, had an eerie quality that I still enjoy to this day.

I really wish they had done more with Planet Xenon. It would've been even better than Kandor as a source of superpowered friends and foes for Supes.

Thanks, Richard!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 10:36:17 PM »

great, I am a big fan of the 1950's Superman and this story was not included in showcase, which starts with Superman No. 122 of the Superman comic run, while this story is from Superman No. 119.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 01:47:49 AM »

Boring draws such a distinctive male profile, noses and all, but his women look great in profile...and those weird alien creatures...

There are a number of flaws, but who cares, the twin planet is named after another noble gas and the reader gets to learn something about the Sargasso Sea... :wink:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 02:07:26 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Boring draws such a distinctive male profile, noses and all, but his women look great in profile...and those weird alien creatures...

There are a number of flaws, but who cares, the twin planet is named after another noble gas and the reader gets to learn something about the Sargasso Sea... :wink:

All the best comic book stories teach you something about the Sargasso Sea, everybody knows that.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 04:23:47 AM »

This double life of Superman's is going to give me a nervous breakdown! Cheesy
Superman's Pal
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 09:36:32 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
All the best comic book stories teach you something about the Sargasso Sea, everybody knows that.

The Sargasso Sea appears a few years later in the story "Superman's Undersea Kingdom" from Action 244.  Jimmy Olsen takes "the flying newsroom" to investigate a mysterious phenomenon in the Sargasso Sea.  Assuming that Metropolis is somewhere along the North East Coast of the U.S. (roughly in the vicinity of Manhattan) that helicoptor must have gotten great gas mileage!

"Golly, Superman, I don't know how to explain it!  Whenever I use my signal-watch to call you, this weird creature appears!"  Jimmy Olsen #43 - March 1960
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L