superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Alvan Schwartz story  (Read 2011 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 04, 2006, 05:05:20 PM »

One of the many books in my "to read" pile is Alvin Schwartz's An Unlikely Prophet, published in 1997.  I'm still working through it and this morning I picked it up and read a few pages and came across the following passage, in which Alvin meets the character that he helped to create:

Quote from: "Alvin Schwartz"
I was still in the cab.  But Thongden had vanished, and sitting beside me was Superman.  His cape had draped over him in such a way that the folds seemed somehow frozen into some hard substance.  In the new Superman who had recently been appearing on television, the cape was made of ordinary materials stitched together by Ma Kent.  And that bothered me because back when I was writing Superman, the cape was made of an indestructible, extraterrestrial material impermeable to bullets, fire, even the tremendous electromagenetic power of a particle accelerator.  I had even done a story about Superman's cape--how it was stolen and used as a shield and protective device by the villains who had managed to make off with it.  So when I looked at the clearly indestructible cape on the Superman who sat beside me in the taxi, I knew my version had been the correct one.  I smiled at him.  "So--I was right after all.  You're the real Superman.  The one they've got running around in the TV series and the comics today--they're just imposters with fake capes."

I find it interesting that in Schwartz's Superman sighting, Superman has a cape that looks indestructible and frozen into a hard substance - since that's how it also appears in Superman Returns.  Perhaps this is yet another sign that it is the "real" Superman that will be in the movie.

At any rate, the point of this post is to ask if anyone here has any knowledge of the Alvin Schwartz story that he refers to having written about Superman's indestructible cape being stolen and used by villains.  Any info at all - like the story name or issue number or something - would be useful.  I hunted around on google a bit but was unsuccessful.  I'd like to be able to track down a copy, read it, and possibly add it to the site.

Thanks.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:13:11 AM »

I don't recall having read this story, Rao, but I do know Alvin Schwartz wrote Superman from about 1944 until 1959 - which is quite a lengthy period to research.
Avilos
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:24:13 AM »

I believe Alvin Schwartz also wrote the Superman newspaper strip. So that story may have appeared there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L