superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:29:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Violence and Continuity  (Read 15478 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 06:16:49 PM »

BYOO-sik. Rhymes with "You sick."

Methinks I'm not the only one who spent some miserable afternoons on a grade school playground.  :lol:

This looks like a job for...
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
BYOO-sik. Rhymes with "You sick."

Methinks I'm not the only one who spent some miserable afternoons on a grade school playground.  :lol:

Uh, the kids in grade school didn't use that one; it's merely to demonstrate pronunciation.

However, entering first grade hte year Star Trek went on the air got me "Captain Kurt," living near a large car dealership called "Smyly Buick" got me "Smiley Busiek," and growing up while Johnny Bucyk was a Boston Bruin got me a lot of "Any relation to the hockey player?"

To which my standard response was "You mean my uncle Derek?"  [The reference being to fellow Bruin Derek Sanderson.]

I didn't get my name made fun of much, though.  Not like the babysitter we had for a while, Kent Clarke, who was partial inspiration for SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY.

There was one kid, Ted Dewan, who didn't like me much and called me "Dirt" Busiek.  I called him "The Activated Turd."  "Doo-On," you see.

Years later, we met up and discovered that each of us felt the other guy's insult worked better, and we therefore seethed with jealousy.  I thought "Dirt" was so simple, and mine was too much of a reach; he thought "Activated Turd" was clever, and his was just stupid.

Ah, youth -- !

Ted is now living in London and an award-winning children's book illustrator.  We've read one of his books to our kids many times.

kdb
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 04:39:35 PM »

Kurt,

Recent articles and interviews with the DC writers sugested that there is right now an ideological fight between creators. Greg Rucka, Judd Winnick and Brad Meltzer would be working for a darker DC Universe, while Mark Waid and Grant Morrison would continue the never-ending-battle for the Silver and Bronze Age ideals and higher morals. Geoff Johns, as the Infinite Crisis writer, would be the final vote on the matter. Is that true or just an impression from internet readers? If the creative querel is true, do you have a position?

Thank you.
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 05:52:28 PM »

FSKKKHXXX!

Error!  Error!
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 05:54:37 PM »

Quote from: "Superman Forever"
Recent articles and interviews with the DC writers sugested that there is right now an ideological fight between creators. Greg Rucka, Judd Winnick and Brad Meltzer would be working for a darker DC Universe, while Mark Waid and Grant Morrison would continue the never-ending-battle for the Silver and Bronze Age ideals and higher morals. Geoff Johns, as the Infinite Crisis writer, would be the final vote on the matter. Is that true or just an impression from internet readers? If the creative querel is true, do you have a position?

Haven't heard anything to this effect, except from fans online.  Not a peep of it from the DC offices or from other writers.

But I can say that it sounds like rubbish.  If there really was a decision being made about what tone all he writers were going to be told to adopt, it wouldn't be made by a guy who happens to be writing a big crossover.  It'd be made by Dan and Paul.

If such a decision were being made, though, surely someone would have told me to adopt a particular tone by now, though, and no such thing has happened.

kdb
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 06:12:49 PM »

My word, Kurt has turned into an environmental robot (see two reposnse above)!

I trust hes not LOST IN SPACE!  :shock:  :wink:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L