superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STTA and Smallville  (Read 13399 times)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« on: February 04, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »

Administrator's note: this thread is split from this one.

I'm lost in this topic.

About the Smallville controversy, I still watch the show. It's not my Superman, for sure, but it's still enterntainment and teenagers seem to like it. Sex is a reality for them so I think it should be adressed in the show, if Clark does or not, it will be taking a side. I think he would't have sex, but if it was the case, it should be explained. Smallville is a teen TV drama, it's not for kids. I'm against the prohibition os Smallville discussion. If we can discuss the Byrne Superman, why not Smallville?

About the hate topics, it seems that Julian Perez hate the fans of Waid and Morrison like me and just love the marvel guys like Busiek and Englehart. It's fine if he don't like the writers, but this site isn't a place to personal atacks on other Superman fans.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 03:31:41 PM »

Quote from: "Superman Forever"
I'm lost in this topic.

About the Smallville controversy, I still watch the show. It's not my Superman, for sure, but it's still enterntainment and teenagers seem to like it. Sex is a reality for them so I think it should be adressed in the show, if Clark does or not, it will be taking a side. I think he would't have sex, but if it was the case, it should be explained. Smallville is a teen TV drama, it's not for kids. I'm against the prohibition os Smallville discussion. If we can discuss the Byrne Superman, why not Smallville?

Well, this topic has become about...everything. That doesn't matter, because it's a rant...but just jump in whichever discussion is applicable Smiley

I agree with you on the Smallville issue. Removing the Smallville forum was a perfectly good editorial decision, since nobody really noticed or cared, and I usually discuss Smallville on another forum anyway (since nobody on this one notices or cares when new episodes come out.) The removal of the Smallville forum made way for other, better forums.

But the position that "any future SMALLVILLE threads will be looked upon as spam and deleted," while still well within the rights of moderators, is in my opinion an excessive limit on discussion, the sort of "Super-Fundamentalism" that I was talking about earlier. A better approach, that wouldn't anger anyone, might be bringing the issue up for a vote.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:07:38 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
But the position that "any future SMALLVILLE threads will be looked upon as spam and deleted," while still well within the rights of moderators, is in my opinion an excessive limit on discussion, the sort of "Super-Fundamentalism" that I was talking about earlier. A better approach, that wouldn't anger anyone, might be bringing the issue up for a vote.

You know, I'm not from the USA, and I'm againt the intention of a global empire that would destroy cultures of other countries even with good intentions, but I totally believe in the American Way that Superman represents. I agree with you that the issue of Smallville TV show should be up for a vote. Remember, even Superman let people decide if Luthor swould be president. Smallville is destroying society because of the sex issue? Ok. It's an opinion, and I can respect. It's not the real Superman? I respect the opinion and I kinda agree. It's not faithful to the mythos. But in essence I think that the boy is a real Clark Kent trying to find his place in the world and help people. He is Superman for a genereation, and their opinions should be heard. Don't agrre with? Let's discuss, with arguments and respect.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 06:55:44 PM »

The Smallville board was removed for a reason, since the show doesn't have anything to do with this site there is no reason to discuss it here.

There are plenty of other boards to discuss the show.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 07:56:30 PM »

I bought my season sets of Smallville from this site. The hostility toward Smallville discussion is very recent, and it seems to be an old people vs. young people issue. Such a division is bad, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Either way, I'd like to hear Rao's opinion on the issue, though I know he's probably busy. Is your intention simply not to support Smallville anymore (i.e. not selling the DVDs anymore, removing the forum) or did you actually intend for discussion of a TV show to be banned?

I suspect that it was never intended for all discussion of the show to be banned, since every single Smallville thing is still being sold here: http://superman.nu/smallville/

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:46:48 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I bought my season sets of Smallville from this site. The hostility toward Smallville discussion is very recent, and it seems to be an old people vs. young people issue. Such a division is bad, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Either way, I'd like to hear Rao's opinion on the issue, though I know he's probably busy. Is your intention simply not to support Smallville anymore (i.e. not selling the DVDs anymore, removing the forum) or did you actually intend for discussion of a TV show to be banned?

I suspect that it was never intended for all discussion of the show to be banned, since every single Smallville thing is still being sold here: http://superman.nu/smallville/

Again, it was NOT my call, ok, I am just a mod, people give me far too much credit. This is Rao's site, not my site. If he wants no Smallville, he gets no Smallville, I never liked the show, so I couldn't care less. I support whatever he wants.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 12:52:58 AM »

Voting on a forum decision never works out, never... Cheesy

My personal opinion is that its fine that the Smallville forum is gone, and why not take out Lois and Clark as well...the occasional thread on Smallville doesn't bother me, I don't think they shoud be treated as "spam"...

BUT, lets face it folks, we contribute posts and maybe to Supermanica, the owner and admin pays for the bandwidth, built and continues to build this site to fill a need he saw was missing, so its his decision....
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Voting on a forum decision never works out, never... Cheesy

My personal opinion is that its fine that the Smallville forum is gone, and why not take out Lois and Clark as well...the occasional thread on Smallville doesn't bother me, I don't think they shoud be treated as "spam"...

BUT, lets face it folks, we contribute posts and maybe to Supermanica, the owner and admin pays for the bandwidth, built and continues to build this site to fill a need he saw was missing, so its his decision....

I am asked him why even have the lame Lois and Clark  forum, but he doesn't want to get rid of it and thinks it is still far better than Smallville.

Again, I have no control over these things, he pays the bills he makes the calls, sounds fair to me.

It is considered spam, because we made it clear that it wasn't wanted so to go ahead and make threads on it anyway is a smack in the face to this site and shows total disrespect.

- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L