superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roy Thomas  (Read 7068 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 06, 2006, 04:30:51 AM »

Reading a great old issue of the Comics Journal today (#71 with the Popeye vs Hulk cover).  Great interviews with Roy Thomas and Mike Friedrich, as well as articles about classic comics, Bernie Krigstein, and tons of articles reviewing the highpoints of 1981, which were basically, then and now, RAW magazine, Frank Miller on Daredevil (seen even by most of the Journal writers as the Messiah), and Cerebus.  Love and Rockets and Robert Crumb's Weirdo had just started as well but had yet to reach their peak years.

Anyway, besides the above, I was most struck by the following:

-R. Fiore's praise for Steve Gerber's Phantom Zone miniseries.  I still find this mini an unreadable mess, despite Gene Colan art.  I love most 70s Gerber, but not this.  I also used to like R. Fiore, but now think he is generally clueless about good comics.

-a great review by Dwight Decker that has some kind words for  the then-new Superboy series: "A modest, unassuming little comic book that calls up fond memories of my youth.  It reads like a Mort Weisinger Superman family comic book finally allowed enough pages to tell the story properly, and the Shaffenberger art ... only heightens the nostalgia."  He goes on, including some criticisms, but that's about it.

-lastly, comments by Roy Thomas, that tie into this board --the roots of Crisis.  Thomas, who elsewhere in the issue is described as being more representative of mainstream comics during the year of Frank Miller's Daredevil due to his 3 new titles (Arak, Capt Carrot, All-Star Squadron), and his love of verbiage over art,  mentions the situation at DC:

"Now I can work with the DC Universe, which is in such a state of disrepair that Marv Wolfman and Len (Wein) and Gerry (Conway) and I, it's all we can do to just keep sticking fingers in the holes in the dike."

Was the Crisis just a result of hiring a raft of Marvel writers in the 80s?

Elsewhere, in Alter Ego #8, Thomas waxes nostalgic about the creation of All-Star Squad, and mentions that DC brass in 1980 called Earth 2 characters "doppelgangers" --meaning essentially useless, slightly menacing duplicates of already-existing characters.

Also, does anyone know if Thomas's characters were ever used post-Crisis (ie, Arak, Firebrand)?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:27:13 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
-lastly, comments by Roy Thomas, that tie into this board --the roots of Crisis.  Thomas, who elsewhere in the issue is described as being more representative of mainstream comics during the year of Frank Miller's Daredevil due to his 3 new titles (Arak, Capt Carrot, All-Star Squadron), and his love of verbiage over art,  mentions the situation at DC:

"Now I can work with the DC Universe, which is in such a state of disrepair that Marv Wolfman and Len (Wein) and Gerry (Conway) and I, it's all we can do to just keep sticking fingers in the holes in the dike."

Was the Crisis just a result of hiring a raft of Marvel writers in the 80s?

I heard somewhere that Roy Thomas was the force responsible for CRISIS taking place because he felt that if his Golden Age titles were set on Earth-1, his sales would improve.

Quote from: "TELLE"
Thomas waxes nostalgic about the creation of All-Star Squad, and mentions that DC brass in 1980 called Earth 2 characters "doppelgangers" --meaning essentially useless, slightly menacing duplicates of already-existing characters.

Ver-r-ry nice interview, incidentally. A few points of interest in the book:

1) It was pretty funny to hear Roy Thomas - of all the people in the world - rationalizing about how to get a female on the team.

2)

Quote from: "Roy the Boy"
But-Aquaman? Besides being a "doppleganger" character, with a basically identical Earth-One counterpart, the sea king had always proved a problem in Justice League of America, since he had to be in the water to be effective. So I decided to hold him off till later. (How much later, I couldn't have guessed at the time!)

Now this is something that I, and many other Aqua-fans, including Tegan Gjovaag, find interesting:

There was almost never a mention of the Earth-2 Aquaman. If Roy intended to use an Earth-2 Aquaman in ALL-STAR, it's a very intriguing footnote.

Yes, there WAS an Earth-2 Aquaman; he was the son of a scientist who gave his son a serum that allowed him to live underwater. Aquaman was believed to be a Mort Weisenger creation, which is why he returned in backup form come the resurgence of popularity for superheroes, allowing Aquaman, the superhero version of Kato Kaelin, to crash on the couch.

3)

Quote from: "Roy the Boy"
But Sir Justin had been a knight of the Round Table, which gave him super-hero status in my eyes. And I had, after all, conceived the modern-day Black Knight at Marvel in 1967 largely in homage to The Shining Knight.  

WOW. Now this I did not know, but in retrospect it DOES make sense considering the winged horse and all.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 06:38:55 AM »

Telle wrote:

Also, does anyone know if Thomas's characters were ever used post-Crisis (ie, Arak, Firebrand)?

-----------------

I understand that Valda (Arak's love interest) had a cameo in the "Day of Vengence" Infinite Crisis miniseries and Special.  But I wonder if this was only to preserve her trademark since Valda doesn't practice magic and otherwise wouldn't be associated with the Shadowpact.

Still, it was nice to see her again.  Valda was supposed to have her own miniseries, but that never saw print.  (It's even rumored that the artwork was already completed.)

DTO
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:01:13 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I heard somewhere that Roy Thomas was the force responsible for CRISIS taking place because he felt that if his Golden Age titles were set on Earth-1, his sales would improve.

I doubt this is true at all -- Roy likes continuity the way it was; and Crisis cost him the use of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, all of which could be figured to hurt sales.

Aquaman was believed to be a Mort Weisenger creation, which is why he returned in backup form come the resurgence of popularity for superheroes, allowing Aquaman, the superhero version of Kato Kaelin, to crash on the couch.

Aquaman is a Weisinger creation (or co-creation; Paul Norris gets the credit, but Mort wrote at least the first story), but didn't return in backup form come the resurgence of superheroes -- like Green Arrow, another Weisinger creation, he had never left.  Aquaman started out as a backup feature, not appearing on a cover until the Silver Age, but was published steadily from the 40s up until 1971.

Mort simply parked Aquaman and Green Arrow in anthology books behind popular leads, and they stayed there for years.

kdb
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:18:53 AM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
Mort simply parked Aquaman and Green Arrow in anthology books behind popular leads, and they stayed there for years.

I don't remember reading about the terms of his deal in Men of Tomorrow but I wonder if Mort was able to wrangle a Bob Kane-style deal for those characters he created, guaranteeing himself some sort of royalty as long as he could manage to keep them in print or licensed in some way.

I just watched a bit of the wonderfully silly 1967 Aquaman cartoon and wondered if Mort got a cut.  Bob Haney wrote at least one episode.  I never saw it as a kid and was looking forward to it because I loved Black Manta in the Legion of Doom-era Superfriends.  His look and voice were different, however, in this earlier incarnation.  Not as cool/evil/Darth Vader-ish.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:21:16 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
I understand that Valda (Arak's love interest) had a cameo in the "Day of Vengence" Infinite Crisis miniseries and Special

I just remembered that Infinity Inc was Thomas' other original series for DC --lots of new characters there to earn 20% of merch on.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 05:33:59 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
There was almost never a mention of the Earth-2 Aquaman. If Roy intended to use an Earth-2 Aquaman in ALL-STAR, it's a very intriguing footnote.

Aquaman did appear in All-Star Squadron #59-60, just in time to be retconned out of existence. Johnny Quick had the All-Stars pose for a group portrait for FDR. But Aquaman, Superman, Batman & Robin, and Wonder Woman were missing from the picture when it was delivered to the Prez. Strangely, Green Arrow & Speedy didn't disappear from the picture.

Roy's comments in the lettercols of A-S Squadron suggest that he wasn't happy about the demise of Earth-Two. But I wonder whether his A-S Squadron was a major source of the perceived "reader confusion" that became the justification for the CoIE. A-S Squadron regularly contradicted previously established facts, such as...
 - small contradiction: Green Arrow's & Speedy's hair colors changed from blonde and red, repectively, to brown and blonde, respectively.
 - big contradiction: when the JSA met the Freedom Fighters on Earth-X (in JLA #107-108), the JSA and FF didn't know each other; but in A-S Squadron the FF were originally from Earth-Two and well-known to the JSA.
 - enormous contradiction: the JSA learned of multiple Earths after the Flashes of Earth-One and Earth-Two met in "Flash of Two Worlds"; but in A-S Squadron the JSA learned of Earth-X and Earth-S way back during WWII.
If readers were truly confused about the multiple Earths, it may have been due to Roy Thomas more than anyone else.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 09:29:03 AM »

I can see how the DC of the time felt that the whole mess was too confusing and maybe Roy didn't help --but the aspect of his work (especially in A.S.S. --not to be confused with Morrison's A.S.S.) that dealt with dike-hole plugging was not the major part of those stories --they still read like traditional 70s-80s superhero adventures.  His verbiage and annotations are distracting but sometimes I'd rather read that than look at the substandard art of the day.

In many ways, DC saddled itself by admitting that a story from the 1950s (Flash of 2 Worlds) still should be final word on the use of multiverse concepts in the 1980s.  More elegant solutions to that problem, if it was a problem, have been suggested elsewhere.

The most obvious solution was to start from something like scratch, with a simplified universe, not slavishly devoted to 50 years of continuity, but not ignorant of that continuity either.  Their mistake was junking the continuity in a story that was basically written for the same audience that loved the continuity  --older superhero fans.  A smarter company move may have been to make a clean break with their audience (increasingly smaller) and embrace youth and the future.  Maybe now, after 20 years of a new, simpler DC universe (ha!), a new generation and larger audience has come to embrace DC, but I don't think so.  The need for new Crisis-style events hasn't gone away --DC just keeps repeating its mistakes.  The only mass audience for the DC characters is on TV where, at least in the animated cartoons, the old continuity and style keep popping up.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L