superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:57:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In stores February 8, 2006  (Read 5642 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: February 07, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »

Just a reminder that Superman 226 and JSA 82, both featuring the Earth-2 Superman, will be in your local comic shop this week.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 03:06:50 AM »

Oh boy - will he be reaping and killing like his good pal S-boy Prime? :roll:
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 03:57:29 AM »

That's the worst Earth-2 Superman drawing ever  :l:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 04:08:46 AM »

I'm just as P.O.'d as the next guy about what DC did to Superboy-Prime, but I'm still looking forward to these two titles.  It's been an extremely long time since the Earth-2 Superman's existence was admitted by DC.  Now he's finally back in the spotlight and back in the Justice Society of America; a year ago this would have been considered an impossible dream.

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Oh boy - will he be reaping and killing like his good pal S-boy Prime? :roll:

It doesn't look it.  Seems that Paul is finally getting the chance to wrap-up the JSA.  This page is from the NYT article:

The Superman issue is most likely a re-telling of the 1938 origin with an E-2 wrapper.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:22:32 PM »

The JSA dosbanding was also in New Fronteir and I guess Paulie did it first.

And yeah Im not liking the art but did E2 Sman have gray hair already by 1951?  :roll:
Superman's Pal
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 02:56:27 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
And yeah Im not liking the art but did E2 Sman have gray hair already by 1951?

The first couple of times Earth 2 Superman appeared in the JLA/JSA team-ups he was pretty much identical to Earth 1 Superman (IIRC even his "S" insignia was the same as Kal-El's).  It wasn't until Superman 2 appeared in the 1970s All Star Comics that he was shown with greying temples.

"Golly, Superman, I don't know how to explain it!  Whenever I use my signal-watch to call you, this weird creature appears!"  Jimmy Olsen #43 - March 1960
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 03:12:31 PM »

Technically any story printed in 1951 would have been an Earth-2 Superman story, since the Silver Age is usually said to have begun around 1956 (with Showcase #4) or in Superman's case perhaps 1958 (with Action #241).

And none of my copies of comics from that era show Supes with gray hair.  I don't think he was shown with gray hair until Levitz and the Giffen/Wood art team brought him back in the All-Star revival of the 70s.  

Personally, I'm digging the Perez art in a big way.  Though I agree the McGuinness cover is no great shakes.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 07:51:24 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Technically any story printed in 1951 would have been an Earth-2 Superman story, since the Silver Age is usually said to have begun around 1956 (with Showcase #4) or in Superman's case perhaps 1958 (with Action #241).

And none of my copies of comics from that era show Supes with gray hair.

Nor was he shown working for the Daily Star nor having a costume with a golden-age S logo on it.

I think the real guideline for whether or not the Earth-2 Superman should have grey temples in 1951 is his appearance in all those "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" stories.  If I recall correctly, he had not yet gone grey.

Personally, I'm digging the Perez art in a big way.  Though I agree the McGuinness cover is no great shakes.

Then perhaps you'll be pleased that the McGuinness cover introduces the Joe Kelly/Howie Chaykin/etc Superman issue and not the Paul Levitz/George Perez JSA issue.

I've read both the comics in question and my take on it is that although the Earth-2 Superman is back, he's a different character with a different continuity than the old E-2 Superman.

The JSA story was fun.  It read like an old issue of All-Star only better and the artwork was fantastic.

I made another find while in the shop this week:  Alter Ego #56 was on the stands.  It has some fantastic Superman material, including a Neal Adams cover and a never-before-published interview with Jerry, Joanne, and Laura Siegel from 1975.

S!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L