superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:32:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "TELL THE TRUTH!"  (Read 8628 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: April 21, 2003, 09:05:25 PM »

Here's another tale for the history books:

Tell the Truth!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 02:33:17 AM »

I just read the "about" page.  All I can say is

:shock: WHAAA?

When did DC start thinking that Mike Carlin knows more about SUPERMAN than Elliot Maggin does???

Someone over there must have been smoking something! :crossed:

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 04:14:34 AM »

That Superman was much too intelligent, noble, compassionate, and heroic to be anything other than the pre-crisis Superman! The post crisis Superman would never had said those things and would have never acted that way, so Maggin gets fired for giving us the real deal. Sad

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
lastkryptonianhere
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 01:51:49 AM »

I always have felt that Elliott S! Maggin was the best Superman writer.  He had an understanding of the character, his ablilities, his humanity, his emotional weakness and the way he saw the world and his role in the world.  He wrote Superman stories which stand up today among the best Superman stories of all time.  I also am torn because I honestly like both the pre and post crisis Superman.  I care for the character and I remember too many times when the character was handled without care or understanding.  

The one thing DC did after Crisis was to get a better grip on the overall continuity of their characters including Superman.  Mike Carlin was given more control over the character and his role in the new DC continuity and literally the buck stopped with him.  

That is when DC started thinking Carlin knew more about Superman than Maggin.  I personally wish he could come back and write a Superman series for a year or so and show just how great a writer he still is.

"Look Up In The Sky ..."
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 03:34:24 PM »

I think Maggin did the right thing with the Challengers story.  It seems to me that Carlin was just upset because he went behind his back.  He might have also thought too that he knew more about Superman than Maggin.  Which is absurd.

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
valdemar
Superman Family

... and who, disguised as...

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 04:14:17 PM »

Quote from: "shazamtd"
I think Maggin did the right thing with the Challengers story.

So do I, but it's too bad that he lost his job.  Imagine if he was still an editor!

It seems to me that Carlin was just upset because he went behind his back.

I think Carlin got upset like that a lot.  Mark Waid also used to be an editor at DC Comics, but then he let Kara Zor-El make an appearance in a post-crisis Christmas special.  (It was a fantastic appearance in a great story, and as far as I know it's the only post-crisis Kara appearance other than the recent Peter David story.)  Waid was fired faster than you can blink.

It was years before he did anything at DC again.

"It is not too far fetched to predict that some day our very own planet may be peopled entirely by SUPERMEN!"
- Jerry Siegel, Superman #1
The Starchild
Administrator
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 07:10:53 PM »

If they can fire Mark Waid but then eventually give him a twelve issue Superman series, maybe they'll do the same for Elliot S! Maggin!

That would be incredible! Cool  Then there'd be two must-read books!

"I just wish that you could all see the Earth the way that I see it - because when you really look at it, it's just one world."
- Superman, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2003, 12:35:08 PM »

Maggin has said that he has no interest in writing comics anymore.  Now if he were to become the editor of the Superman titles that would be fantastic!  
Maybe DC could publish a TPB reprinting Elliot S! Maggin's best Superman stories.    Smiley  S!

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L