superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Star Superman #4 Cover Art and sneak preview  (Read 16499 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: February 12, 2006, 12:54:18 AM »

May’s All Star Superman #4 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely was described by Morrison as the “Jimmy Olsen issue”.
"Jimmy Olsen vs. Superman, because Superman has gone bad,” said Morrison. How that happens becomes director of a covert agency called P.R.O.J.E.C.T. for a day as part of his reporting job, which happens to be the day Superman goes bad.

For fans of the days when Jimmy would turn into all sort of monsters, Jimmy will turn into Doomsday in the story. As to what Jimmy is holding on the cover, Morrison said it is an anti-Superman weapon, but Jimmy can’t figure out how to use it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
May’s All Star Superman #4 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely was described by Morrison as the “Jimmy Olsen issue”.

I hope we get to see Jimmy use his rocket pack.
For fans of the days when Jimmy would turn into all sort of monsters, Jimmy will turn into Doomsday in the story.

I can't figure out if that's insane or brilliant.  Probably both.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:37:28 PM »

Glad to see that Jimmy is at least wearing argyle socks... Cool
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 11:54:35 PM »

Also, http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=d4145e10f3b2d0c4e9e724bfe97e9218&threadid=59175 has this:

Morrison said Krypto will appear in All Star Superman #6 - the Superboy issue. The writer feels that Krypto should only appear in Superboy stories and not Superman stories, because it makes for great, "A boy and his dog" stories.
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 01:11:40 AM »

Also...this little tidbit from Wonder-Con...

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=02b092563e803f4900fb25e6d1900b6e&threadid=59124

Asked if All Star Superman is thematically linked to middle-age (that's people middle-age), with Superman having to face mortality, Morrison commented it absolutely was...

“Yeah, I’m 46 and exploring these themes”.

All-Star Superman is also unique in that unlike many writers (Alan Moore was specifically mentioned), Morrison typically writes without an ending in mind. However, this time All Star Supes is “very coherent, very structured” and he’s working toward a “particular end”.

Adding to his teases from the DCU Universe panel about issue #4, Morrison said readers will see a transvestite Jimmy Olsen on page one.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »

Nothing sez silver age like Jimmy in drag or disguised as a gangster with a winking compulsion. Wink
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »

What's kind of hard to believe is, since Jimmy Olsen in his early years in his own comic was written by Otto Binder, who used to be Captain Marvel's main writer, and they did a lot of riffs/rip-offs of other superheroes (Plastic Man/Elastic Lad, Hawkman/Bird-Boy, etc.) that there was't a story where Jimmy said a magic word and got invested with the powers of the mythical gods.

Maybe Binder thought he was under probation or something, and didn't want to remind them that he used to write for Superman's chief rival. (Although he used the theme in a Superman vs. Hercules story, and of course the Zha-Vam stories.) Or maybe Captain Marvel was too "special" to Binder to be used as a rip-off in Jimmy Olsen.---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:18:56 PM »

I would love to see the Zha-Vam story reprinted, it was I belive Wayne Boring's final story as well.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L