superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Rocks!  (Read 4771 times)
Captain Marbles
Superman's Pal

« on: February 12, 2006, 03:41:48 PM »

I swear on the Daily Planet I'm not making this up.

Way back in the 1970's, there was a tale of Superman which featured a villain who used a mind control device to make people obey commands given to them via "rock music."  I think it was called the "Pied Piper of Metropolis", but I'm not sure, since it's been a while.  Anyway, since it did take place in Superman's Bronze Age, would it be possible for us to see it in the Comics Section?

"'Shazoom'?!  Vas ist das 'Shazoom'?!"

Superduperman, from Tales Calculated To Drive You Mad #4
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »

This story was reprinted in both Superman from the Thirties to the Seventies and Superman from the Thirties to the Eighties.  I never liked it that much and don't see how it adds anything to the mythos, so I probably won't be adding it to the site any time soon.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:25:49 AM »

Actually, now that I've gone back and read it again, I think one could make an argument that the tale in question might be worth adding.  Continuity-wise, there is some relevence:  Superman witnesses the Daily Planet globe being removed to make room for a TV tower; and Morgan Edge transfers Clark to WGBS and gives him a "roving-reporter" television broadcasting van.

But I don't have the original issue, just the B&W reprints, so I still won't be adding it anytime soon. Smiley

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:52:49 PM »

I read that story in the Superman: From the 30s to the 70s volume...I got so sad about the WGBS thing that I hardly remember the story about the mind control rock and roll storyline...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 11:06:09 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about Kryptonite Sad

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L