superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1996 Series Supergirl #1 printings  (Read 3670 times)
hornakapopolis
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: February 14, 2006, 12:11:18 AM »

Can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between the first and second printings of the first issue of the 1996 Supergirl series?

I stopped collecting around '93, but would occasionally start again for a day or so :lol: every couple of years. I'm back to collecting again and have come across two of these Supergirl #1 that I had picked up over the years. I noted on one that it's a second printing, but I can't figure out why. And it looks identical to the other one I have that I picked up later (or before. Who knows.)

I've found a scan online of the 3rd printing and it has the III next to the CCA symbol. Mine don't have anything. When I stopped collecting DC was doing the Roman numerals on the covers for their printings, which was better than the old "change the color of the logo" scheme they did before. Regardless, I always seemed to be able to find it in the small print/subscription info inside the front cover.

Neither of mine have this, but I'm almost positive that one is the first print and one is the second. Can anyone give me a hand? I've asked over at the DC Comics board, too, but so far, haven't heard anything definitive.

...Denny Crane
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:12:03 AM »

Unlike today's mania over alternate covers and multiple print run cover variations, back when Peter David's "Supergirl" series began I don't believe there were too many instances of different cover art to designate another print run.  I assume the same artwork was used on all editions of Issue #1 (the green shirt and skateboard cover), and you'll just have to carefully check the fine print to tell the difference.

Not altogether sure, but this MIGHT be the first printing:

http://supergirl.astraldream.net/covers/supergirl01.jpg

You might want to contact the webmistress and inquire further:

http://supergirl.astraldream.net/index.html

http://supergirl.astraldream.net/author.html

Hope this helps.

DTO
hornakapopolis
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:55:52 AM »

That's for the pointer. I've sent her an e-mail. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I find it odd that I'm having such a hard time with this. There doesn't seem to be anything out there.

...Denny Crane
hornakapopolis
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »

Well, I was finally able to find out which is which with the help of mycomicshop.com.

1st printing - dark red DC bullet and red "#1". Most of the images you'll find on the web.

2nd printing - dark blue DC bullet and blue "#1". Small Roman Numeral II in the upper left, below the bullet.

3rd printing - back to the color red, although it might be a slightly different shade. It's hard to tell from the scan. A Roman Numeral III appers below the "#1" on the right, next to the CCA symbol.

I've asked a few places, so I'll post this at all of them hoping it helps others in the future. I'm surprised it was this hard to find out.

And I guess I have two 1st printings. I'll assume that it's still state inside by the subscription info like it's always been, too.

...Denny Crane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L