superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:39:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: Which Superman should appear after Infinite Crisis?  (Voting closed: February 22, 2006, 04:46:36 PM)
Earth-1 Supes. (Pre-Crisis model) - 10 (62.5%)
Earth-2 Supes. - 1 (6.3%)
Post-Crisis Supes (Current model) - 0 (0%)
Birthright Supes - 2 (12.5%)
Ultraman (Evil baby, evil! :p) - 1 (6.3%)
Other (Explain) - 2 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After Infinite Crisis, which Superman version should emerge?  (Read 11141 times)
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« on: February 15, 2006, 09:46:36 PM »

Just wondering what your choice would be. Feel free to discuss. Smiley

For me, it's a balancing act. I'd certainly like to return to the halcyon days of yore, when Superman was the bestest and the fastest with the mostest, but I admit it can be a challenge to write Superman as nigh-ominpotent. I lean toward the Birthrigh approach to things; honoring what's come before while still making Superman contemporary to the current period, but maybe with a few more Silver Age elements thrown in (he needs a Fortress darnit, with giant key, I don't care what Morrison says. Wink). But what do you think? Vote and if you like drop a line and let me know what you think. Smiley

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »

I voted Earth-1 Supes, but we really need both. You need that guy who saved Evelyn Curry's neck and fought giant flying robots.

However, there is no denying the change in Superman's personality between the Golden and Silver ages. This has been explained in the past by saying that they were two different people, but as I've said before, I think that Superman of Earth-2 seems retroacted and forced, and doesn't quite fit.

I would rather have Superman "go soft" because of something more natural, like the arrival of his little cousin Kara. I wouldn't mind a single Superman, like Byrne tried to do, as long as all of the past stories still happened.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

llozymandias
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 01:33:05 AM »

Actually his personality seemed to change early in the golden-age.  Most of the elements associated with Earth-1 actually started in the golden-age.  His name being Kal-El instead of Kal-L.  The Daily Planet & its editor-in-chief Perry White.  Luthor as a bald man.  Superboy.  The reason the Superboy stories were (at one point) said to take place in the 20s through mid-30s was to have him becoming Superman as a 21 year old circa 1938.  Basically prior to the Earth-1 /Earth-2 retcon, the official stance was that all the prior Superman stories were about the same Superman.

John Martin, citizen of the omniverse.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:06:03 AM »

Comic dialog was fairly short and to the point in the Golden Age, so in a lot of ways, I have a hard time reading Superman's personality at all...

As for the question, I don't think you can retroactively impose a multiverse and have it approach the charm it had as it was introduced and built...and then Black Canary wanted to live on another world, we got Power Girl etc. and it went too far, for me... Cool
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:32:25 AM »

Once the Superman entry is more fleshed out then the differences will become clearer.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 08:58:32 AM »

Probably the current Superman (and I'm sure he'll be the "winner"), but the return of the Earth-1 Man of Steel wouldn't disappoint me.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »

I voted Earth 1 as well but dont think that'll be happening. Best of both (all?) worlds that DC will probably try to reconcile ALL with a major film coming out is a combo of Earth1, Birthright and inital 86 reboot (no Superboy). A more self assured, confident, morally fit Superman with ideals and integrity and not this dark buffoon who's been running around in a cape.  Maybe that Superman shoulda stayed dead!

'No Superboy' would tie in with Smallville but once SuperMAN announces his presence in THAT world, how long do you think it would take for the Smallville town fathers to take down that Meteor Capital of the World billboard and replace it with a Home of SuperBOY one.  Somebody's gonna finally put  all those miraculous feats together and make sense out of senselessness. Wink  Vince Sullivan's namesake perhaps?
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 02:53:23 PM »

Well, if the Multiverse really does come back then we can have all of them.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L