superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:38:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan Brennert: Comics Writer  (Read 12234 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 06:09:47 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
Alan Brennert tale that still chokes me up is "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot" (Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2). I was still in Post-Crisis mourning at the time, and it truly hit me hard. So far the "return" of Kara Zor-El hasn't changed my emotional reaction every time I read this story, and reflect on the closing dedication.

Aw, man, how could I forget about this wonderful, suckerpunch worthy story? Greatest holiday story ever. Reminds me of that Hanukkah story with Doc Sampson telling the story of the first Hanukkah, and gradually on the kids' prompting, it starts to involve the Avengers and the Leader...

It occurs to me that Deadman has not gotten a lot of use in recent DC times. Didn't he have his own title as a part of the DC Explosion in 1970-whenever-it-was?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:43:35 PM »

Quote from: "dto"
the one Alan Brennert tale that still chokes me up is "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot" (Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2).

The story that got Mark Waid fired!

Nobody's mentioned the first story to put Brennert on my radar -- "Time, See What's Become of Me," the Batman/Hawk & Dove team-up.  It may have been his first full work in comics, but it was a strong and character-focused as everything that came after.

It was a bit controversial, since it posited that H&D had grown up since the late Sixties/early Seventies, while their contemporaries in other books clearly hadn't, but it was a terrific story that was worth telling whether it fit continuity or not.

kdb
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 03:29:32 PM »

That story got Mark Waid fired??? Why because he used Kara Zor-El post crisis? A story that is STILL discussed and remembered some 20 years later? Aye caramba! :shock:
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 03:55:15 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
That story got Mark Waid fired??? Why because he used Kara Zor-El post crisis? A story that is STILL discussed and remembered some 20 years later? Aye caramba! :shock:

Even better: Mark got fired for using Kara post-Crisis without permission -- in a story that the Editor In Chief of DC Comics drew.

On the other hands, being booted out into a freelance career worked out pretty well for Mark, all told.

kdb
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 05:14:01 PM »

Thanks, Mr. Busiek.  I've heard rumors about someone getting the boot over "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot?", but never any authorative confirmation.  In fact I somewhat dismissed the firing story since it seemed inexplicable to me HOW "Auld Acquaintance" could slip by into print if DC was THAT opposed to ever seeing "Kara" again, ESPECIALLY with that ending dedication:

"With respect and admiration for the works of OTTO BINDER and JIM MOONEY.  We still remember."

(Arrgh... there's that old lump in the throat again.)   Sad

Seems pretty obvious to me exactly WHO this "Kara" was.  Was there a deliberate conspiracy to sneak this story past DC's "Powers That Be", or a more innocent "We'll see if they approve it..." scenario?

Reminds me of how suprised I was seeing Tim Sale's "Solo #1" featuring a story by Diana Shultz that not only involved the Pre-Crisis Supergirl, but actually wrapped up the dangling plotline from her abruptly-cancelled last solo series in 1984!  At that time Solo #1 was released DC was not only still insisting that the Pre-Crisis Kara Zor-El "never existed" (despite her appearance in Peter David's final "Supergirl" arc), but they were just cranking up the promotional campaign for the "NEW" Kara Zor-El's grand debut.  

With this in mind, I thought it was counter-intuitive for DC to resurrect the original Supergirl and refer to a twenty-year-old incident only dedicated Kara fans would recall.  (The unexpected return of Linda's old boyfriend Dick Malverne -- she was literally still reeling in mid-kiss when DC yanked the plug.)  When I asked Tim Sale about this, he admitted that he and Diana Shultz wasn't sure if DC would approve "Young Love", but apparently the Solo series was sufficiently removed from mainstream DC continuity to run such a story.  

I'm wondering if "Christmas with the Super-Heroes #2" was originally viewed as such by DC's upper echelons, and it was only after "Auld Acquaintance" that DC decreed that "Kara" was TOO "out of continuity" to ever appear in ANY DC title, firing Waid to drive that point home.

Good to know Mark Waid seems to have weathered this incident rather well.  While some may criticize his "The Kingdom", I particularly loved the "Planet Krypton" issue with so many familar "hypertime ghosts", including a couple Supergirl incarnations.

DTO
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 05:46:02 PM »

Here's what I'd like to know:

Is the person who was responsible for editor Mark Waid being fired over a published story the same person who was responsible for editor Elliot Maggin being fired over a published story, and was that the same guy who nixed the Superman 2000 proposal after the wheels had been approved and put in motion?

I just hope he isn't calling the shots anymore.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 06:06:49 PM »

Wait - if the DC editor in chief actually drew the Xmas Kara story........ DICK GIORDANO???!!!

http://superman.nu/tales3/deadman-xmas/

By the moons of Rimbor!!!! :shock:

Doubt Dick was reposnible for the other things, Rao. He's been enjoing his retirement in Florida for some time now.

But stilll.... GAAK~
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Doubt Dick was reposnible for the other things, Rao. He's been enjoing his retirement in Florida for some time now.

That's not quite who I was thinking of...

http://superman.nu/a/History/carlin.jpg

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L