superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonSuperman Through the Ages!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:43:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How strong should Superman be?  (Read 3769 times)
lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« on: February 17, 2006, 11:53:54 PM »

Simple question, really..  How strong do you think Superman should be?  And I mean in terms of lifting strength, as well as striking strength.

I'm certainly not a fan of the Reboot-era weakened Superman..  ...But neither do I really like "I can move planets as a casual feat" Superman, either.  

I'm thinking there should be a balance, but I'm unsure how it should work...

Anyone have an idea on this?
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 11:59:53 PM »

Above the current Superman but below the "planet mover" Superman. That's my opinion, at least.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »

I liked all the times he pushed the moon and other planets around - it was mythic and cool, and made you go "whoa." I'm thinking mainly of the SUPERFRIENDS cartoon, where it cut to an impressive view of the earth being pushed to the side.

(Seanbaby on his Superfriends site, said that the reason they cut to an exterior shot of the Earth is because...if you were to come right next to Superman while he was pushing the earth around, all you'd see is a guy grunting and doing a handstand.)

In all seriousness, however...Superman shouldn't have to strain to do anything - having limitations, powerwise, is missing the point. The point of Superman is that he can do anything. Challenges for Superman ought to be things that just can't be solved by an overwhelming application of power.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 08:54:33 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I liked all the times he pushed the moon and other planets around - it was mythic and cool, and made you go "whoa." I'm thinking mainly of the SUPERFRIENDS cartoon, where it cut to an impressive view of the earth being pushed to the side.

(Seanbaby on his Superfriends site, said that the reason they cut to an exterior shot of the Earth is because...if you were to come right next to Superman while he was pushing the earth around, all you'd see is a guy grunting and doing a handstand.)

In all seriousness, however...Superman shouldn't have to strain to do anything - having limitations, powerwise, is missing the point. The point of Superman is that he can do anything. Challenges for Superman ought to be things that just can't be solved by an overwhelming application of power.

In an episode of the '60s Superman cartoon, there was a shot of Superman basically doing a handstand as he moved the Earth, which always brings up the question as to whether anyone could move a planet (rather than burrow into it) no matter how strong he was. As to strength levels, Superman should certainly be stronger than any other DC character, whether he can juggle planets or not.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 05:47:04 AM »

Quote from: "Dial H For Hero"
In an episode of the '60s Superman cartoon, there was a shot of Superman basically doing a handstand as he moved the Earth, which always brings up the question as to whether anyone could move a planet (rather than burrow into it) no matter how strong he was.

A handstand? Why couldn't he just push down with his legs?

In another thread I referenced Superman #220 (October 1969). In that story, Superman used his heat vision to scorch a large plot of ground to give him a firm place to push against. I guess it was lucky he didn't need to push against the ocean floor. Then he flew at the ground shoulders first, and his impacts were felt all over the Earth.

Personally, I'm not sure where to draw the line on Superman's strength. Moving the Earth--or even the Moon--seems to be too much. But I do think he should be able to catch a falling passenger jet while he is flying, or lift a supertanker from the sea and carry it to port.
laurel
Superman's Pal

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 02:17:48 PM »

Quote from: "Dial H For Hero"
As to strength levels, Superman should certainly be stronger than any other DC character, whether he can juggle planets or not.

Not to be a nag, but I think Monel is the stronger of the two.

But I think the point is that Superman can do *anything* Cheesy
He can fly through time!
One time he was getting kryptonite nuked in a cave and he used his heat vision to melt gold ore to cover the nasty green rock.  The heat transmuted the gold into lead!   :shock:   He's like a living philosopher's stone.  yay!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L