superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Krypto, Kandor, and Brainiac  (Read 2971 times)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« on: February 18, 2006, 12:49:45 AM »

It seems to me like Krypto, Kandor, and Brainiac need some tweaking in the current DCU. Let me explain by going through each subject:

Krypto - Right now, there are some problems with Krypto existing. The current Krypto was reintroduced in Return to Krypton, a canine from a faux, Silver Age-esque Krypton. But since the canon Krypton has changed, that origin has some problems.

First of all, the faux Krypton was created by B13 from an ideal of the past Krypton in the mind of Jor-El (this is Man of Steel Jor-El). Now, he longed for this past Krypton because the one he lived in was bleak and sterile. But with Birthright presenting a utopian vision of Krypton (which is how Krypton should be, IMO), it's unlikely he'd wish for this Krypton. Why wish for a utopia if you already live in one? Secondly, Kal goes into the Phantom Zone to learn about how Krypton really was since he'd previously thought it to be an unemotional place. Why would he go if he already knew Krypton was a utopia?

It seems to me that this story only works if Kal believes Krypton to be a bleak place for most of his life. But that can't happen now, so where did Krypto come from? Is he a "leftover" from the pre-Crisis DCU like Power Girl? Was he created by Cadmus like Superboy? Did he come from the Birthright Krypton? I'd like to see this addressed by one of the writers (hopefully Johns and Busiek, as I know they'd do a great job with it).

Kandor - As seen in Godfall, the Kandorians seem to both physically resemble Kryptonians and identify strongly with the planet. Additionally, they seem to think that Brainiac, and not the wizard Tolos, captured their city. Is this just a legend or has continuity changed? If Brainiac DID steal Kandor then he couldn't have gone through his whole Milton Fine phase. Unless, of course, he took it before being executed. Finally, Preus, a Kandorian, developed Superman-like powers after escaping Kandor. This seems to suggest that he either has Kryptonian or Daxamite blood in him.

Brainiac - This ties into the above. Brainiac may have stolen Kandor now, but that leaves his already confused origin in shambles. Personally, I prefer the old android Brainiac (provided he wears pants). It'd be great if his origin could be condensed easier for new readers.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 08:49:17 AM »

Only peripherally being up on recent Super-Events, you'll forgive me if I didn't catch al of that.

But I get what you're trying to say; there are a ton of unanswered questions that exist right now thanks to BIRTHRIGHT's new origins and the Loeb stuff. Hopefully, the new Crisis will organize this in a way that makes sense.

Interesting point about Krypto. It may be possible that the dog is a "Pre-Crisis" survivor that's forgotten the Pre-Crisis universe, like Power Girl has. It ought to be pointed out that never, at any point, did Krypto the Super-Dog die on camera. He was just...forgotten, as the new writers took over.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 07:26:31 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
But I get what you're trying to say; there are a ton of unanswered questions that exist right now thanks to BIRTHRIGHT's new origins and the Loeb stuff. Hopefully, the new Crisis will organize this in a way that makes sense.

That's the gist of it. And I think you're right about the Crisis clearing things up.

Interesting point about Krypto. It may be possible that the dog is a "Pre-Crisis" survivor that's forgotten the Pre-Crisis universe, like Power Girl has. It ought to be pointed out that never, at any point, did Krypto the Super-Dog die on camera. He was just...forgotten, as the new writers took over.

Right. Krypto only died in an "imaginary story" (aren't they all?), not in the main, pre-Crisis continuity. It's reasonable to assume that if an Earth-2 character could survive being retconned, then so could an Earth-1 character.

But I must admit that my main concern is over Brainiac and Kandor. Brainiac probably got the worst revamping of all the Superman rogues. He went from an android that could threaten the universe to a possessed mentalist. Not a very good change. That being said, I've enjoyed his recent appearances and his new body. I just wish he had a better origin.

Kandor needs to be connected to Krypton in some way (and not as an alien ghetto). The other aliens are fine, but the city needs some humanoid Kryptonians (or mixed breed Kryptonians) as well. I don't think it was an accident that the citizens remember Brainiac shrinking them. But if he did, then he needs a new origin.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 12:29:51 AM »

Finally, Preus, a Kandorian, developed Superman-like powers after escaping Kandor. This seems to suggest that he either has Kryptonian or Daxamite blood in him.

IIRC, Preus' suit was the source of his powers. Once Superman removed the Chest Emblom, Preus' powers were gone.
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »

Quote from: "DBN"
Finally, Preus, a Kandorian, developed Superman-like powers after escaping Kandor. This seems to suggest that he either has Kryptonian or Daxamite blood in him.

IIRC, Preus' suit was the source of his powers. Once Superman removed the Chest Emblom, Preus' powers were gone.

Ah yes, that's right. It's too bad, they could've done something good with Preus.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L