superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:31:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Byrne... Crazy?  (Read 3463 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« on: February 17, 2006, 08:04:37 AM »

Administrator's note: this thread has been split from this one.  If this keeps up, I'll have to create a new forum specifically for JB bashing...

Quote from: "TELLE"
Isn't John Byrne crazy now?

Wow! Is he? But his artwork is so bland!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 11:55:40 AM »

Crazy, Byrne? Nah. Lazy, nah. The guy just did 3 different titles for DC. Art bland? Matter of taste but his story telling technique is good and certainly more classical than some of those muscle bound steroidal anime freaks posing as Superman.

And I like his recent True Brit -he's good at funny/goofy stuff.

And while Bytne may have his faults (dpoont we all) the big revoot was primarily the DC editorial staff and Marv Wolfman with Byrne chiming in.

Still ...the question remains --what becomes a legend most?

Judging by the diversoty here, one thing we all love is our silver/bronze Supes.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 03:43:54 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Crazy, Byrne? Nah. Lazy, nah. The guy just did 3 different titles for DC. Art bland? Matter of taste but his story telling technique is good and certainly more classical than some of those muscle bound steroidal anime freaks posing as Superman.

I'll give him that.  Like I said, ultimately I can't really fault the end result of an artist putting out 3 books per month  --it's never going to be a perfect work of art.  Even if you the artist in question is Jack Kirby or John Stanley (or Curt Swan).

What I grew to dislike about Byrne during that early Superman run which I hadn't noticed as a teen fan of his Fantastic Four is the gradual disappearance of backgrounds, his one-size-fits all body types (especially for women), and a general feel of assembly-line, by-the-numbers storytelling at a time when I was looking for something more in my comics.  Perfectly entertaining genre material for the most part (I even gave in to the urge to buy a few issues of his West Coast Avengers years later when he brought back the Golden Age Human Torch).

What I resent about him still is his participation in the whole "revoot" project. (I thought you were making a Slim Galliard reference but then I noticed that v and b are near each other on my keyboard).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »

Frankly, I think that if you draw everything the same all the time (and I'm sorry, Byrne does), you ought to be able to do, oh, I don't know, fourteen or fifteen titles a month. This guy can draw four or five things and keeps photocopying them.

Anyway, let's not hijack Gennis' topic; I can always make a John Byrne Hate Special topic anytime I like.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 08:32:09 PM »

Personally i think that Byrne have two thing to be ashamed for,
the idea that the New Gods were much more powerful than the Olympian gods is the first (Kirby wins over Homer? Darkseid better than Zeus?I don't think so!) and the second the horrible crossover called Genesis one of the most stupid stories that i ever read,there were so many errors! Maybe i miss something but here in Italy not all the stories from DC are published.

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »

I think we can all agree that Johnny is a hack and a horrible human being.

but, let's not beat a dead horse.

Let's focus on good artists and writers instead.

so this thread shall be closed

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L