superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-2 Superman: Death of Character  (Read 13424 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 11:19:40 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Oh, man, Superdickery is going to have a FIELD DAY with that cover.

Not to sound all sniveling and Gollum-like, but "...the master would never hurtses us!" C'mon, this is Geoff Johns, the guy that treated the crossdressing, butch female Red Tornado with dignity and respect; you think he can't spare a cup of that for the first Superhero ever?

But hey, WIZARD magazine wouldn't jump to crazy conclusions, right? I mean, that might compromise their storied reputation for journalistic integrity!

Now, is it wrong of me to find that, on a cover where some artist messes with the classic Ditko Spider-Man duds, Superman looks all wild-eyed and crazy banging earths together, that the single most terrifying thing on that cover is the idea of FAMILY GUY comics? Oy.

What happened to those grand old TOP CAT comics and the ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE? Now, don't get me wrong, I love flatulence and midgets as much as the next red blooded comedy lover, but FAMILY GUY's alternation of "shock value" gags like Hitler having his own talk show with pop culture references to stuff like Gilligan's Island never impressed me.

I liked the recent Mad Magazine that covered (and justifiably ripped into) Family Guy (mostly comparing it to the Simpsons).

Never liked "Family Guy" either---feels like a poor ripoff of both "South Park"  and "The Simpsons" (while missing both show's strong points). Well, I do like Stewie the baby and Brian the dog, but not willing to put up with everything else about said show just to see one or two characters I might like (guess similar to how I don't like any of the characters on Smallville save for Lex, and don't watch the show... yeah, so I sort of got back on topic :-) )

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 01:15:15 AM »

Stewie is nothing but a shameless rip off of the baby version of Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.

See for yourself: http://www.kempa.com/ware/bigJCFG.gif

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 06:48:37 AM »

Quote from: "DBN"
He's already turned Superboy Prime into a murderer and currently writes Kal-L as a naive lackey to Alex Luthor with a Parallex-fetish.

Yeah, but who the hell was Superboy-Prime, anyway? I'm all for giving respect to characters with history, but the thing here is this: at least as a villain Superboy-Prime has a personality...and something to do. It's not like he was Hal Jordan, who is universaly beloved and has a history of writers giving him a strong characterization and a real personality, and who, further, fulfills a niche in DC ecology.

I shed a tear when HAWKWORLD and LONGBOW HUNTERS made Hawkman and Green Arrow unrecognizeable and conceptually divorced, not to mention unoriginal trend-trollers. But why are we getting all sentimental about Superboy-Prime, anyway? My attachment is to the Pre-Crisis DC history, and Superboy-Prime was a character created for Crisis that didn't survive Crisis.

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Stewie is nothing but a shameless rip off of the baby version of Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.

See for yourself: http://www.kempa.com/ware/bigJCFG.gif

Wait...you mean FAMILY GUY may not be 100% original? My world no longer makes sense.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 10:32:50 AM »

Yeah, but who the hell was Superboy-Prime, anyway? I'm all for giving respect to characters with history, but the thing here is this: at least as a villain Superboy-Prime has a personality...and something to do. It's not like he was Hal Jordan, who is universaly beloved and has a history of writers giving him a strong characterization and a real personality, and who, further, fulfills a niche in DC ecology.

What personality? The kid was written as a jealous (plus whiny) fanboy and a complete tool just to make Kon-El look good.

Not to mention the fact that his lackey-status completly contradicts Alex's statement about the Luthor/Superman relationship.

The only saving grace to all of this mess would be if the Psycho Pirate and/or the Anti-Monitor was manipulating them.

So far Infinite Crisis is shaping up to be a bad rehash of Zero Hour.
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 10:35:52 AM »

I shed a tear when HAWKWORLD and LONGBOW HUNTERS made Hawkman and Green Arrow unrecognizeable and conceptually divorced, not to mention unoriginal trend-trollers. But why are we getting all sentimental about Superboy-Prime, anyway? My attachment is to the Pre-Crisis DC history, and Superboy-Prime was a character created for Crisis that didn't survive Crisis.

Hmmmm.  How to explain.....Look at him Smiley

SB-Prime is the closest thing we are ever going to get to the original Superboy...THAT is what it is all about.   He had the same personality, everything except the history (the original Superboy knew who and what he was from a young age)

SB-Prime could have slipped into the role easily and would have been accepted.  And would have been better than what we ended up with...Kon (superpunk) El....gag.

When they did this to him...they soiled the image of the original Superboy.

So it was not so much Superboy Prime they destroyed...it was the Image he represented to many fans...the TRUE Superboy.

That's reason enough to be disgusted, don't you think?

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Anonymous
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 03:46:01 PM »

yes.. suberboy could have been retconned into being superman as a kid with a really crappy origin...

of course then man of steel wouldn't have happened....
Dylan Clearbrook
Supergirl Fan
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 01:20:26 AM »

Quote from: "sikkbones"
yes.. suberboy could have been retconned into being superman as a kid with a really crappy origin...

crappy origin? Depends on your point of view I suppose.  I think it would have been great.

Quote from: "sikkbones"

of course then man of steel wouldn't have happened....

And this would be a bad thing how?

I am NOT a fan of the Byrnes Blasphemy Smiley

Dylan

Freedom is never free.  It must be bought and paid for...no matter the cost!

Supergirl's Wallpaper Annex: http://supergirl.the-imperium.com
The Continuum Worlds Fan-Fiction http://www.continuumworlds.org
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 02:57:24 AM »

Julian, ref this post.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L