superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:53:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-2 Superman: Death of Character  (Read 13434 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 03:39:01 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Quote from: "DBN"
He's already turned Superboy Prime into a murderer and currently writes Kal-L as a naive lackey to Alex Luthor with a Parallex-fetish.

Yeah, but who the hell was Superboy-Prime, anyway? I'm all for giving respect to characters with history, but the thing here is this: at least as a villain Superboy-Prime has a personality...and something to do. It's not like he was Hal Jordan, who is universaly beloved and has a history of writers giving him a strong characterization and a real personality, and who, further, fulfills a niche in DC ecology.

I shed a tear when HAWKWORLD and LONGBOW HUNTERS made Hawkman and Green Arrow unrecognizeable and conceptually divorced, not to mention unoriginal trend-trollers. But why are we getting all sentimental about Superboy-Prime, anyway? My attachment is to the Pre-Crisis DC history, and Superboy-Prime was a character created for Crisis that didn't survive Crisis.

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Stewie is nothing but a shameless rip off of the baby version of Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.

See for yourself: http://www.kempa.com/ware/bigJCFG.gif

Wait...you mean FAMILY GUY may not be 100% original? My world no longer makes sense.

Going with what the others said... plus as we saw of his upbringing, don't see how anything there, or that he should've been being taken care of by Kal-L and Earth-2 Lois, including being trained in the use of his powers by Kal-L while they were in that dimensional "paradise" all those years, would result in what I saw in IC ("jealous" of some clone that's not been around as long as SB-Prime has and who's had a rather tumultuous life during his short existence, plus a very sloppy use of his powers? Uh, yeah...whatever...).

Re: Family Guy: I'd settle for it being *1%* original. ;-)

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 04:41:40 AM »

I admit that I have far less concern for Superboy Prime than Hal Jordan, there's much less history, though I don't think he was created just to be absorbed by the Crisis...but I don't see much of a reason to tromp on him either.

But then, I'm old and don't really care for the "Sword of Superman" either... Cool
The Spider
Supermen of America

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 07:11:29 PM »

Oh, man, Superdickery is going to have a FIELD DAY with that cover.

I went and gave the latest WIZARD a read.  There's an article in there where WIZARD does their own version of Superdickery by going through the old Golden Age comics and snarkily commenting on specific panels.

And there was something in the Infinite Crisis article about how it was Jeph Loeb's idea for them to incorporate Earth-2 Superman into the story, but I can't remember at the moment.
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 12:24:14 PM »

Quote from: "The Spider"
went and gave the latest WIZARD a read.  There's an article in there where WIZARD does their own version of Superdickery by going through the old Golden Age comics and snarkily commenting on specific panels.

And there was something in the Infinite Crisis article about how it was Jeph Loeb's idea for them to incorporate Earth-2 Superman into the story, but I can't remember at the moment.

One problem is that the 'Earth-2' Superman is NOT the Golden age Superman. The Golden age superman started out as a Phillip Marlo/Sam Spade like character with superpowers ('See this iron bar?' -twist- 'This is your neck if you do not tell me what I want to know.'). By the 1940's he had been toned down but we have seen that his values are not as clean and nice as they have been retroactively shown. Man of Steel #80-82 caught the spirit of that era and there is a hard edge there that was missing from the Earth-2 version
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 05:36:01 PM »

Quote from: "Maximara"
One problem is that the 'Earth-2' Superman is NOT the Golden age Superman. The Golden age superman started out as a Phillip Marlo/Sam Spade like character with superpowers ('See this iron bar?' -twist- 'This is your neck if you do not tell me what I want to know.'). By the 1940's he had been toned down but we have seen that his values are not as clean and nice as they have been retroactively shown. Man of Steel #80-82 caught the spirit of that era and there is a hard edge there that was missing from the Earth-2 version

True, the differences between the two characters of Earth-1 and Earth-2 Superman were intentionally played up, however, through many occasions it has been shown that Earth-2 Superman is if not the Golden Age Superman in details, Golden Age Superman in spirit. For example, unlike the Earth-1 Superman, Earth-2 Superman was intelligent but not a great scientific genius, and because he went through most of his existence without other powers, Earth-2 Superman tends to use his strength and invulnerability a lot more. Earth-2 Superman always had something of an edge that the slightly bemused Earth-1 Superman never had.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Maximara
Superman Family

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2006, 02:50:41 AM »

Quote from: "Maximara"

True, the differences between the two characters of Earth-1 and Earth-2 Superman were intentionally played up, however, through many occasions it has been shown that Earth-2 Superman is if not the Golden Age Superman in details, Golden Age Superman in spirit. For example, unlike the Earth-1 Superman, Earth-2 Superman was intelligent but not a great scientific genius, and because he went through most of his existence without other powers, Earth-2 Superman tends to use his strength and invulnerability a lot more. Earth-2 Superman always had something of an edge that the slightly bemused Earth-1 Superman never had.

I would debate the Earth-1 Superman being a great scientific genius.  For example Luthor lost his hair after making an antidote to Kryptonite and yet when Superman fails to recreate an antidote he stupidly thinks that there is no antidote.  The obvious solutions of having a piece of blue K readily available never occurs nor does the idea of having a portable red sun ray in case he gets into another green K death trap al Superman Vol 1 #130.

Also when Kara and Lois were dying of the same disease that killed his
parents Kal-El accepts the excuse about how they cannot change history BS from his friends in the Legion even though by this time he KNOWS that there is no one future for Earth.  Finally Stupidman realized he was exposed as well and he has the antibodies in his blood; Well DUH! That is middle School biology you Supermoron.

The Earth-1 Superman was forever doing stupid things like this.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 09:52:48 PM »

Quote from: "The Spider"
Oh, man, Superdickery is going to have a FIELD DAY with that cover.

I went and gave the latest WIZARD a read.  There's an article in there where WIZARD does their own version of Superdickery by going through the old Golden Age comics and snarkily commenting on specific panels.

One of the panels they ripped on ("This patrol was getting dull") was from the Bronze Age. It was a Dennis O'Neil-scripted Superman/Flash team-up drawn by Dick Dillin.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 01:40:57 PM »

I see the points about Superman, supposedly having a super brain, wasn't as intelligent as he should have been.  He certainly should have been on a par with Luthor, which he clearly wasn't.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L