superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Donner to write Action Comics  (Read 18751 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 09:23:54 PM »

Quote from: "BMK!"
Sorry to break off of topic but...perhaps they do know, Julian.

GIANT-SIZE HULK #1
Written by PETER DAVID & GREG PAK
Penciled by JUAN SANTA CRUZ & AARON LOPRESTI
Cover by RYAN SOOK
What is the untold story of the battle between one of the strangest superhero teams in the Marvel Universe and the engine of destruction known as the Incredible Hulk? See ol' Purple Pants go toe-to-toe with Angel, Ice-Man, Ghost Rider, The Black Widow and Hercules in a story that holds a key to Post-PLANET HULK events! By legendary Hulk scribe Peter David and Juan Santacruz.
PLUS! A PLANET HULK INTERLUDE! Bruce Banner makes his first appearance on Planet Sakaar - and battles the Hulk for his body and soul! What secret is the Hulk hiding? What terrible truth does Banner reveal? And who will triumph in this ultimate showdown? By Greg Pak and Aaron Lopresti.
Also: Re-presenting the outstanding INCREDIBLE HULK: THE END by Peter David and Dale Keown.
96 PGS./Rated T+ ...$4.99

http://www.newsarama.com/imagepop.htm?imageURL=http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JF41art/GIANT_SIZED_Hulkcopy.jpg

Huh! Now THIS I'm getting. Peter David has many flaws, but lack of respect for history is not among them, and he's said many times about his love for Bill Mantlo and Mantlo's work.

And it would be GREAT to see Hercules and the Hulk scrap again; it was exciting to see it all the way back in CHAMPIONS #16.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 12:24:29 AM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Quote from: "JulianPerez"

But the guy that did THE GOONIES? Give me Brennert or Maggin or give me DEATH!

Hear of Superman the Movie much? I say give him a shot. At least he isn't likely to have Superman decapitating someone in a shockvalue splatterfest.

Wrong again! Ever hear of Tales from the Crypt much?  Cheesy

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 03:13:34 AM »

Don't get too worked up about this, whether you love the idea or you hate it. Most likely Donner will be acting more as a sounding board and "consultant" while Geoff Johns does most of the plotting and all of the dialogue. Donner and Johns are friends, going back to Johns' time as his assistant. Now the roles are reversed and Donner will be assisting Johns.

I suspect it goes something like this; Donner agrees to lend his name as "co-writer" to give the Superman books a boost of media attention and buzz. (Donner is NOT a household name, although most of his best films ARE, so it's debatable how much attention this will really draw outside the comics fan world, but still...) Then he has various conversations with Johns, batting ideas back and forth, offering some suggestions for what might make a good story and how to structure the scripts for dramatic impact. From this, Johns writes up the scripts and maybe e-mails them to Donner for his opinion. It's not as if Donner will be having sole authorial responsibility dumped on him while he's reduced to working for peanuts as a comics writer.
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2006, 05:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
Quote from: "Kuuga"
Quote from: "JulianPerez"

But the guy that did THE GOONIES? Give me Brennert or Maggin or give me DEATH!

Hear of Superman the Movie much? I say give him a shot. At least he isn't likely to have Superman decapitating someone in a shockvalue splatterfest.

Wrong again! Ever hear of Tales from the Crypt much?  Cheesy

Context much? I meant in regards to Superman, Richard wouldn't pull those kind of cheap gore stunts. But I guess Johns could always talk him into it.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 09:25:35 PM »

Ever hear the word 'much' a little too much?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 06:25:20 PM »

So, who would you rather have teamed up with Action -- Donner, or Kurt Busiek?  What if you were really hoping for Tom Mankiewicz if they were gonna get anyone from the Superman movie?  Smiley
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »

It has now been confirmed.

IGN Story
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 06:25:07 AM »

The IGN story was taken down long before I could read it but I found that a poster named Shamon copy-pasted this on another message board...whether it's the same IGN story, I don't know...if someone could confirm, perhaps?

Richard Donner writes Action Comics

July 17, 2006 - This fall, Superman's greatest ally and greatest enemy return. Richard Donner, the man who brought Superman to film, waited 25 years for his next team up with the Man of Steel. Donner returns to the character, writing Superman's adventures in Action Comics. Donner's former assistant and best-selling comic writer Geoff Johns (Infinite Crisis) will co-write the series.

Together, Donner and Johns pit Superman against an all-new General Zod. For his first comic book work, Donner will introduce the new General Zod into the DC universe, teamed with Ursa and Non, best recognized as villains from Donner's Superman films. Lex Luthor will also play a central role, just not in the way you'd expect.

This is Donner's first visit to Superman since being fired from production of Superman II. Creative and budgetary disputes led to producers firing Donner even though much of the movie was already filmed. Before filming this year's Superman Returns, director Bryan Singer sought Donner's approval for the updated picture, which references the first two movies.

Donner's first six-issue arc begins with October's Action Comics #844, drawn by superstar artist Adam Kubert (Ultimate X-Men) as his first regular work since signing an exclusive with DC Comics.

General Zod first appeared in Adventure Comics #283 in 1961 after escaping the Phantom Zone, a prison for criminals on Superman's home planet of Krypton. He and other criminals escaped to plague Superman. After DC rewrote its history so Superman would be the only survivor from Krypton, General Zod was deleted from continuity. Various versions have appeared, including the most recent in Brian Azzarello "For Tomorrow" storyline. Donner's version is completely new. Zod, Ursa and Non will likely not be the only Kryptonian criminals escaping the Phantom Zone.

Donner started directing in the 1950s, working on popular television shows including the Fugitive, Six Million Dollar Man and the Twilight Zone. His 1976 film, the Omen, began his film career later directing and producing hits such as the Lethal Weapon series and Goonies.

DC is expected to officially announce Donner's role with Action Comics at the San Diego Comic-Con later this week.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L