superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Donner to write Action Comics  (Read 18749 times)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« on: February 28, 2006, 06:16:57 AM »

Geoff Johns and Richard Donner are rumored to be the new writers on Action Comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »

Right below THAT is a blur about my two chiefs: Paul Kupperberg and main man Jeff Rovin!

Richard Donner?? The Richard Donner?
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »

This is actually pretty disappointing, the Dick Donner news. Let me explain.

Adam Kubert had said that the guy who would take over writing ACTION COMICS would be someone that would absolutely blow our minds, who had an association with Superman in days past.

I was desperately holding out for a possible return of Elliot S! Maggin or Cary Bates. Heck, he said "blow our minds," which meant it could even be someone like Alan Brennert (oh hell yeah) and possibly one of the various Alan Moores.

But the guy that did THE GOONIES? Give me Brennert or Maggin or give me DEATH!

And I'm sorry to see Paul Kupperberg go. He was to DC what Bill Mantlo was to Marvel; a fill-in writer that was absolutely inspired but never got the respect that their talent and professionalism had them deserve.

Paul Kupperberg never received that one single opportunity to demonstrate his incredible genius with original concepts the way Mantlo did with his MICRONAUTS, arguably one of the greatest Marvel comics ever written, or his CHAMPIONS (possibly the most fondly remembered superteam ever - Marvel's sitting on a gold mine and they don't even KNOW).

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 05:22:48 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

But the guy that did THE GOONIES? Give me Brennert or Maggin or give me DEATH!

Hear of Superman the Movie much? I say give him a shot. At least he isn't likely to have Superman decapitating someone in a shockvalue splatterfest. Unless Johns coaches him to do so.

Granted the guy has never written comics before and the industry does seem to have this thing where anybody who's been in Hollywood is somehow automatically good for comics regardless of how well they actually fit the material they are given. But in Donners case the guy has a love and familiarity with Superman that puts him head and shoulders above guys like Wedon and Strazynski.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:39:17 PM »

Quote from: "Kuuga"
Hear of Superman the Movie much? I say give him a shot.

Hey, don't get me wrong, the guy's got the touch alright. LETHAL WEAPON may be the greatest action movie ever made.

However, directing and writing are two different skills, and the fact that he can do one does not necessarily mean he can do the other.

At least he isn't likely to have Superman decapitating someone in a shockvalue splatterfest. Unless Johns coaches him to do so.

Again with the Johns diss. You know, people that slam Johns for having no respect for comics history need to have a nice, hearty bowl of shut-the-hell-up.

Geoff Johns was the guy that killed off that leather jacket and tattoo wearing wank we've had since ZERO HOUR, and gave us a REAL Doctor Fate, and did so in a manner consistent with what we know of the Hall family, namely, their tendency for reincarnation. He was the one that did the impossible and restored to the DC universe the muddled to hell Hawkman; not as a different character with the same name the way Morrison had to, but as the original character that simultaneously drew on Golden Age and Silver Age Hawkmen, keeping both in play. He was the one that restored the original Doom Patrol to DC after Byrne's reboot, saying that the appearance of the Byrne Patrol was a "flux" caused by Alex Luthor (and the existence of the original patrol is still in canon). Best of all, Geoff Johns was the one that restored Hal Jordan to his proper place as Green Lantern, one of the greatest characters in comics history, after decades of absence.

It was Geoff Johns that used such great classic foes as Sinestro, Kobra, Abracadabra, Hector Hammond, Per Degaton, and others, keeping them in their original costumes and with their original motivations. His SUPERMAN/BATMAN story made Kamandi a possible future again and did not involve Kamandi becoming Tommy Tomorrow or some other such nonsense. He brought back, too, the original Legion of Super-Villains. It was his idea to give Power Girl back her Earth-2 origin. It was he that in INFINITE CRISIS, gave us back Earth-2, and yes, Earth-2 is here to stay.

The list just goes on and on.

Granted the guy has never written comics before and the industry does seem to have this thing where anybody who's been in Hollywood is somehow automatically good for comics regardless of how well they actually fit the material they are given. But in Donners case the guy has a love and familiarity with Superman that puts him head and shoulders above guys like Wedon and Strazynski.

Well, above Straczynski, anyway.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:56:22 PM »

However, directing and writing are two different skills, and the fact that he can do one does not necessarily mean he can do the other.

I have to weigh in with Julian on this one.  Just because Kevin Smith can write comics and direct movies* doesn't mean everyone can do it.  Is this going to be the new trend, like actors trying to sing and singers trying to act?  What has that gotten us but a world full of David Hasselhoffs and Jessica Simpsons?  

If they announced Donner on a Superman film I'd be excited.  If they announced Maggin on a Superman comic, I'd be excited.  But until Donner proves himself as a comic book writer, he's on the same level for me as any new writer DC drags in off the street...an unknown quantity who's going to have to earn my respect.

Hey, everybody: Dean Cain on pencils!  Margot Kidder as colorist!  Painted covers by Jack Larson!  Yippee!

* I should add "allegedly", as I've yet to read his comics OR watch his movies.

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

Again with the Johns diss. You know, people that slam Johns for having no respect for comics history need to have a nice, hearty bowl of shut-the-hell-up.

Geoff Johns was the guy that killed off that leather jacket and tattoo wearing wank we've had since ZERO HOUR, and gave us a REAL Doctor Fate, and did so in a manner consistent with what we know of the Hall family, namely, their tendency for reincarnation. He was the one that did the impossible and restored to the DC universe the muddled to hell Hawkman; not as a different character with the same name the way Morrison had to, but as the original character that simultaneously drew on Golden Age and Silver Age Hawkmen, keeping both in play. He was the one that restored the original Doom Patrol to DC after Byrne's reboot, saying that the appearance of the Byrne Patrol was a "flux" caused by Alex Luthor (and the existence of the original patrol is still in canon). Best of all, Geoff Johns was the one that restored Hal Jordan to his proper place as Green Lantern, one of the greatest characters in comics history, after decades of absence.

It was Geoff Johns that used such great classic foes as Sinestro, Kobra, Abracadabra, Hector Hammond, Per Degaton, and others, keeping them in their original costumes and with their original motivations. His SUPERMAN/BATMAN story made Kamandi a possible future again and did not involve Kamandi becoming Tommy Tomorrow or some other such nonsense. He brought back, too, the original Legion of Super-Villains. It was his idea to give Power Girl back her Earth-2 origin. It was he that in INFINITE CRISIS, gave us back Earth-2, and yes, Earth-2 is here to stay.

The list just goes on and on.

You know what, you're right on those accounts. But if anything, it actually makes alot of the stuff he does more frustrating and not less. DC in general seems to extend an open hand then slap the face. For every Hal Jordan return or talk by one of the main DC crew about pulling away from grim n' grit there's stuff like E2 Superman being put in a villanous role and Superboy Prime being written out of character and gratuitous gore. For every time you have someone like Mark Waid say "Batman is a dick and we've been told we can change that" we've got DiDio going on record has viewing the DC Universe as too likeable and defending a DCU saturated in darkness as "drama". I've often heard people say that it feels like there are two Geoff Johns, and I think I would have to agree. DC in general just seems either bipolar or totally BSing.

Looking at some of the extended previews and especially the attitude of DiDio I really don't see how the future is gonna be anything more than business as usual.

Getting back to Donner writing, the point about him being a director is totally valid. But to direct, you do need a strong sense of storytelling. That's why I said "give him a shot". I didn't say "Hand the title over to him." I figure trying him out one Superman story couldn't hurt.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 11:54:59 PM »

Some Superman sketches Adam Kubert did right after DC signed him to do Action:

While the final product won't have such a heavy resemblance to Brandon Routh, elements of Routh's Superman costume will be used in Kubert's run. Which makes sense, given how often the Fleischer and Timm versions of the suit are used as variants by different artists.

As for Donner and Johns...I know it's just a rumor at the moment, but if it's true, bring it on.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L