superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:27:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Donner to write Action Comics  (Read 18777 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 02:00:19 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"

But the guy that did THE GOONIES?

Awe come on. Sloth loves Chunk  :lol:

Remember DD writing AC is a rumour and not fact. Lets take a wait and see approach.  Cool

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"
Awe come on. Sloth loves Chunk  :lol:

Remember DD writing AC is a rumour and not fact. Lets take a wait and see approach.  Cool

Hey, is anyone dissing THE GOONIES here? Not me - if I insult the Goonies in a dream, slap me when I wake up.

Granted, it IS just a rumor, and a pretty crazy one at that; Donner writing a comic book when he could be directing movies that are seen by billions? Has his star fallen that low? I hope it's not true for Dickie's sake.

Plus, I'm still holding out for Maggin or Brennert.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 11:31:54 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
This is actually pretty disappointing, the Dick Donner news. Let me explain.

Adam Kubert had said that the guy who would take over writing ACTION COMICS would be someone that would absolutely blow our minds, who had an association with Superman in days past.

I was desperately holding out for a possible return of Elliot S! Maggin or Cary Bates. Heck, he said "blow our minds," which meant it could even be someone like Alan Brennert (oh hell yeah) and possibly one of the various Alan Moores.

But the guy that did THE GOONIES? Give me Brennert or Maggin or give me DEATH!

Julian, you're thinking from a Superman Throgh the Ages site perspective. The outside world don't care for Elliot S! Maggin, and Richard Donner, however, is the guy who made the world believe a man can fly in Superman The Movie.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:14:35 AM »

Quote from: "Superman Forever"
Julian, you're thinking from a Superman Throgh the Ages site perspective. The outside world don't care for Elliot S! Maggin, and Richard Donner, however, is the guy who made the world believe a man can fly in Superman The Movie.

It's true that comics fans often get excited about things that wouldn't excite non-comics fans. Remember when Kevin Smith took over writing Daredevil and it made it to the page of USA Today, but I distinctly remember it not being talked about at my store as much as something like Morrison's Justice League?

On the other hand, Kubert was talking to people that read comics, not to wire press agents, so an assumption of someone like Brennert or Maggin is not impossible.

(As much as I hope it would be Cary Bates, he's right now living on the coast and in a high-paying animation gig, as I understand it.)

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 01:00:16 PM »

It's true that comics fans often get excited about things that wouldn't excite non-comics fans.

And the reverse is also true, which is why they picked Donner.

DC needs to attract people who don't normally read comics, so they're dropping names the "man on the street" might know.  With all due respect to Dick Donner's possible story-telling skills (we'll see, won't we?), in the end this all boils down to stunt casting, and no more.  

What's interesting is that DC and Marvel can pull writers from any old place and the fan reaction varies from "cool!" to "let's wait and see."  Whereas you can bet your sweet bippy if they said Dick Donner would be DRAWING Superman, everyone would scream, "But he's not an artist!!!!"

Here we see another way the Marvelization of DC, and the industry as a whole, has shaped things.  Comic books are now about the art, period.  Stick whomever you like in there to write the things, just give us pretty pictures to look at.

This looks like a job for...
Kuuga
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »

See, I think saying that it's all about the pretty pictures is true if you're talking about the early 90's, Image etc.

If anything now what we are seeing is that the pendulum has simply swung to the other silly extreme where writers are the darlings and their name recongition alone qualifies them for any project regardless of wether they really fit. Especially if they are writers from tv, the editors won't say no to them about anything. We don't have editors, we have fluffers for the talent.  Which is why Strazynski can be allowed to wizz Spider-Mans legend down his leg and corrupt the memory of Gwen Stacy.

CHO-HENSHIN! KAMEN RAIDA, KUUGA!
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 01:52:54 PM »

This is a name I didn't expect for!
Has he written comics before?

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 04:21:56 AM »

Paul Kupperberg never received that one single opportunity to demonstrate his incredible genius with original concepts the way Mantlo did with his MICRONAUTS, arguably one of the greatest Marvel comics ever written, or his CHAMPIONS (possibly the most fondly remembered superteam ever)- Marvel's sitting on a gold mine and they don't even KNOW.

Sorry to break off of topic but...perhaps they do know, Julian.

GIANT-SIZE HULK #1
Written by PETER DAVID & GREG PAK
Penciled by JUAN SANTA CRUZ & AARON LOPRESTI
Cover by RYAN SOOK
What is the untold story of the battle between one of the strangest superhero teams in the Marvel Universe and the engine of destruction known as the Incredible Hulk? See ol' Purple Pants go toe-to-toe with Angel, Ice-Man, Ghost Rider, The Black Widow and Hercules in a story that holds a key to Post-PLANET HULK events! By legendary Hulk scribe Peter David and Juan Santacruz.
PLUS! A PLANET HULK INTERLUDE! Bruce Banner makes his first appearance on Planet Sakaar - and battles the Hulk for his body and soul! What secret is the Hulk hiding? What terrible truth does Banner reveal? And who will triumph in this ultimate showdown? By Greg Pak and Aaron Lopresti.
Also: Re-presenting the outstanding INCREDIBLE HULK: THE END by Peter David and Dale Keown.
96 PGS./Rated T+ ...$4.99

http://www.newsarama.com/imagepop.htm?imageURL=http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JF41art/GIANT_SIZED_Hulkcopy.jpg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L