superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:46:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OYL Superman 650 Preview  (Read 8049 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: March 01, 2006, 05:57:09 PM »

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/OYLpreviews/daylast.htm

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 06:22:10 PM »

It looks good

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 07:32:51 PM »

It actually does. My word.
King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »

I noticed the "documentary" featured a Krypton not all that different from the Birthright conception (maybe a little stripped down, but not too different). Mayhaps we'll be getting a more traditional origin once and for all?

I do think it's a nice touch that Superman's absence has been met with understanding and goodwill. While the anger and rejection aspect in Superman Returns sounds like it's going to make for a good film drama, I'm glad the comics didn't go the same route. They've been so bleak and miserable of late that a cheerier tone is just what the doctor ordered. If anything, I'm glad we're going to be getting two different reactions to Superman emerging from a long absence.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 08:29:33 PM »

Notice Lois calls out the documentary makers for getting some details about Krypton wrong, and Clark waves it off as unimportant trivialities. Dare we interpret this as a message from DC that they're going to FINALLY stop tinkering with the origin and just let the "broad strokes" stand as they are?

Also, while I like the possible nod to George Reeves, that hat's going to get old in a hurry. I work at a university and in every Freshman class there's always one kid who shows up wearing a fedora (why, I couldn't tell you).  On "American Idol" he'd be the guy who insists on singing Sinatra standards.  You know, an oddball.

Then again, given his physique, Clark might be better off sticking with an "oddball" disguise than a "wimp" act.

This looks like a job for...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 11:42:18 PM »

I take back my earlier hesitation about Kurt Busiek taking over Superman, though it is not entirely dispelled. For one thing, it's six pages of giving us the current status quo; the "man on the street" perspective is interesting, but I'm getting antsy in my pantsy for Superman to bust out the old S and do some Super-Stuff.

That better be one magic goddamn pretzel, considering how much time is spent on Superman buying and eating it and everyone talking about it.

Though I could do without the Smallville letter-sweater. Doesn't anyone get that it's wrong for Superman to use his powers to succeed in athletics, and it's shallow of him to take any pleasure in such honors?

I also see that Lois and Clark are still married. It's too bad a, y'know, CRISIS or something didn't happen recently. Because that would have been the best time of all to ditch a Super-Marriage meant to tie-in to a long-canceled television show.

Seriously, though, writers have been looking for a way out of the "Imaginary Story" esque Superman marriage for years and years, and here a Crisis, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to "fix" many aspects of Superman, and they keep the pair married? Oy.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 12:34:06 AM »

Nightwing, thanks for pointing out the George Reeves hat connection.  I hadn't noticed it on the first reading and I like it.  I'm sure that people sometimes get an old, loved hat or jacket from the back of the closet and wear it out to the park.  Perhaps Clark is as fond of his Adventures of Superman days as we are.

Other things I missed the first time around:  The "Superman Returns" influence on the raised chest emblem on Superman's costume;  the Silver-and-Bronze-Age-ish Kryptonian headbands on Jor-El and Lara; the mention of "Super-Boy"; and what I believe is the first reference to Superman as the "Shining Sentinel" - a possible Astro City nod.

The whole thing looks great to me: "Superman, the Legend" - almost like Maggin's Superman #400 updated and told in three pages (well, in one page and a two-page spread).  Clark's personality is spot-on, and also I love the bit about how Superman's rocket came to Earth 68 years ago - because that's when it did.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 02:00:51 AM »

I actually think that the pretzel has some allusions to the Superman "S" symbol...and I hardly ever think that kind of stuff... Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L