superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC #5 - Super Spoilers  (Read 11793 times)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
You'd be amazed by how many Iron Age fanboys are unhappy that Gordon's back as the commish. "Why does everything have to move backward? Why can't we leave Gordon, Bullock, and Alfred behind and bring in new characters? We want to move forward, not backward!"

I'm not at all surprised to see the Iron Age fans unhappy.  However, this IS Batman, with Comissioner Gordon and Alfred in the strip.  The scenes between Gordon and Batman brought a smile to my face;  to see these two friends working together was a great step in the right direction for the character.

King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:37 PM »

Quote from: "DBN"
It won't matter if the Byrne origin is swept under the rug or not. If Superman continues to be written like he has the past 20 years, then the stories will still be bad.

IMO, all you need to know about Superman's origin is summed up on the first page of All-Star Superman #1.

I wasn't just talking about the origin. I meant the Byrne ERA. Pretty much everything that happened from 1986-now. I know the quality of the stories will hinge on other matters.

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 06:43:42 PM »

You'd be amazed by how many Iron Age fanboys are unhappy that Gordon's back as the commish. "Why does everything have to move backward? Why can't we leave Gordon, Bullock, and Alfred behind and bring in new characters? We want to move forward, not backward!"

Gordon and Alfred will be gone just as soon as some writer comes up with better and more interesting characters.  In other words, NEVER.

I look at recent Batman tales as I do the Byrne/Jurgens era of Superman; a passing phase.  Sooner or later, everything comes back to the version most of the world knows.  In the end, Byrne's origin, the proto-Supergirl, businessman Lex, a Gordon-less Gotham, etc are just aberrations like Superman's long hair and Batman's brief-less costume...they are experimentations that play out...some sooner, some later...and are then abandoned.

This looks like a job for...
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:27:02 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"

Gordon and Alfred will be gone just as soon as some writer comes up with better and more interesting characters.  In other words, NEVER.

I look at recent Batman tales as I do the Byrne/Jurgens era of Superman; a passing phase.  Sooner or later, everything comes back to the version most of the world knows.  In the end, Byrne's origin, the proto-Supergirl, businessman Lex, a Gordon-less Gotham, etc are just aberrations like Superman's long hair and Batman's brief-less costume...they are experimentations that play out...some sooner, some later...and are then abandoned.

On the other hand, there are good changes in the DCU mythos, like Dick Grayson as Nightwing and Wally West as the Flash. Even the marriage of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, despite being a bad story of the Jurgens era, was later well explored by Loeb and Kelly. Emerald Twilight, Hal as Parallax - and Kyle Rayner as the last Green Lantern - would be aberrations, according to your view, and I felt the same way when that happened. However, I've grow to accept that Kyle could be a good character, and Hal Jordan could adopt a new role in the cosmic side of the DCU. So I think returning him to Green Lantern of Earth, something I used to fight for, was a move backward.
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 08:46:25 PM »

Quote from: "Superman Forever"
Quote from: "nightwing"

On the other hand, there are good changes in the DCU mythos, like Dick Grayson as Nightwing and Wally West as the Flash. Even the marriage of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, despite being a bad story of the Jurgens era, was later well explored by Loeb and Kelly. Emerald Twilight, Hal as Parallax - and Kyle Rayner as the last Green Lantern - would be aberrations, according to your view, and I felt the same way when that happened. However, I've grow to accept that Kyle could be a good character, and Hal Jordan could adopt a new role in the cosmic side of the DCU. So I think returning him to Green Lantern of Earth, something I used to fight for, was a move backward.

dick grayson of earth-1 was already nightwing pre-crisis.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »

Wonder Woman speaks to her E2 counterpart, and the Golden Age Wonder Woman dies.

Wow! Now THAT's a super power!  

"Hello!"
THUD!

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 08:17:31 PM »

Wow! Now THAT's a super power!

"Hello!"
THUD!

ROTFL!!! :lol:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 08:42:21 PM »

Forget that power - Beppo's posts are in YEARS now. Heck WW2 just ended for the big lug. Wink

Now that's aa-maaz-ing - who knew super-chimps could type so fast wthout spell check???!!!! :wink:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L