superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Superman Editor  (Read 8291 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: March 02, 2006, 11:25:28 PM »

Who is the new Superman editor?

You are.

Your first assignment:  pick your writer.

The purpose of this thread is for you to nominate who you think should be the next writer on Superman.  Feel free to nominate more than one person, but here's how it works:

It can be anyone you'd like, but the person must be alive.  This is the real deal so you must pick a real writer, the better the better.

It can be someone who has already written Superman or who has never written Superman.  It can even be someone who is currently writing Superman.

Once the nomination process is closed, all potential writers who are listed in this thread by at least two different members will make it to the final ballot.  All forum members will be able to vote in the ballot, thus picking the next Superman writer.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:44:17 PM »

Editor: Elliot S! Maggin
Writer: Alan Moore

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:50:35 PM »

Mark Waid and Grant Morrison.
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:32:11 AM »

James Robinson
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 08:59:56 AM »

Alan Moore on Superman and Michael Chabon on Action Comics.

(I have finally got round to reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, and am enjoying it immensely.)

And I second NotSuper's motion that Elliot S! Maggin should be editor.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »

Previously, I would have said Kurt Busiek would be the ultimate Superman writer, because of his love of Superman's history and his gift for tragic and pognant characterization would make him a natural for writing a misanthropic guy like Luthor with his definitive Maggin characterization. Also, it would give the opportunity to showcase villains that have been tragically underused. Plus, his characterization of Superman in JLA/AVENGERS was right on the money.

Although I'm not as certain about that as I once was when I said that the only man that can save Superman now is Kurt Busiek.

For one thing, Busiek has stated that he does not believe that Superman should be intelligent. I believe his exact words were something to the effect of "I think he should be problem-solving smart." Superman doesn't have to speak every earth language and memorize every work of great literature, however, this concerned me because one of Superman's defining traits is his ability to solve problems cleverly. Without smarts, he's just a big, flying version of the Incredible Hulk. One of the reasons I admire and like Cary Bates is because he had Superman use his powers in totally different ways; he made even mundane Super-Events like breaking a comet interesting because Superman never did it the same way twice.

Say what you will about SUPERMAN II, the resolution in the Fortress of Solitude was pretty clever, predicting Luthor's own duplicitousness and using it to trick the Phantom Zoners. If Superman beat General Zod and the others by chucking buses at them in the big fight scene, it wouldn't have been as satisfying or interesting.

Then, as I strain my brain back over all the times Busiek has written Superman...he never really showed Superman demonstrating any type of resourcefulness or achievement by using his noodle. JLA/AVENGERS, Superman beat the snot out of something like 90 combined Marvel and DC villains because he had Captain America's shield and Thor's hammer, which was very entertaining and breathtaking but was still just Superman as the biggest tank with the biggest gun on the battlefield. Also, in his JLA arc, Superman and Ultraman just traded blows at one another, chucking each other down volcanoes. It was Batman, Wally West, and John Jones that proposed most of the plans of the team; Superman stood around hitting spaceships against the Void Hound.

Another thing Busiek said that concerns me: "You see, I LIKE some of the things in the Byrne years." Nobody shouted Kurt down because we all had stars in our eyes from the fact he was answering our questions and being a real swell guy despite the fact he could be telling us all to bite his rich, rich keyster the way a lot of Marvel editors do (yes, I AM looking at you, Tom Brevoort). I like some things that happened in the Byrne years too: the robot butler, Maxima, Riot, the setting of Hawaii for Superboy (heck, in TEEN TITANS, Geoff Johns has got me liking Conner Kent too), Jerry Ordway's art, and Superman's "General" moments in Roger Stern's classy PANIC IN THE SKY.

But the whole POINT of a website like SUPERMAN THROUGH THE AGES is this: that Superman in his Byrne reboot is divorced conceptually from Superman's history and characterization; it is the most atypical of all origins. There was a list that SuperMonkey wrote on one occasion saying "In every incarnation but one of Superman..." which included dozens of things very basic to Superman. I'm not saying everything done in this period was worthless, however, if Busiek doesn't realize that there was something anomalous about the Byrne reboot, he doesn't get who Superman is.

I remain optimistic about Busiek and Johns's upcoming ACTION COMICS run. I will buy it. But I amend my earlier enthusiasm about the possibility of Busiek writing Superman.

If you were to ask me right now who would be the best choice to write Superman...I'd say Alan Brennert.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 12:25:22 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
And I second NotSuper's motion that Elliot S! Maggin should be editor.

It's long overdue, too. I look forward to seeing the "Ask Elliot" forum on the Superman Homepage some day.

Make it happen, DC.  Smiley

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Superman Forever
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 04:29:00 AM »

I'd also like to read a Superman novel by Orson Scott Card. I don't even know if he likes Superman, but his stories are based around moral choices, just like Elliot S! Maggin. The Worthing Saga, his best work in my opinion, reminded me a lot of Must There Be A Superman? in the end. And we know fron the Kingdon Come novel introduction that Maggin likes him.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L