superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the multiverse have only ONE Mr. Mxyzptlk?  (Read 15383 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 01:23:12 AM »

I just went with DC's explanation of there being two Fifth Dimensions, each one connected to a seperate Earth (and containing a seperate Mxy). Wish I sitll had my old "Who's Who" copy that had seperate entries on both Mxys (with two seperate pictures for the two---Earth-1 Superman showing an eye chart to Mxyzptlk with Mxy's name spelled backwards, and Earth-2 Superman showing Mxyztplk a giant spoon with alphabet-soup letters spelling his name backwards...).

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 01:51:47 AM »

This is blowing my mind.  I can understand many universes but many Fifth Dimensions?Huh?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 02:16:59 AM »

But its so simple... Cool

To me, it seems that the Universes that are so close in time and space are also separated by a "vast gulf" (one that the Red Tornado was forced to span)...since each had three dimensions as separate realities, ech should have their own 5th Dimension...

Not that Criadoman's explanation isn't interesting...though it might be argued that "magic" worked differently on Earth S than on Earth 1...

Actually, I would accept any good writer's explanation... Cheesy
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 04:57:17 AM »

Yeah Telle, me too - any good writers explanation would be enough for me.  But it is true that canon indicates there are indeed two Mxys.  (I used to have that old Who's Who book too.)

Post-Crisis however, the case is moot.  Mxy is shown in both incarnations and is one.

Here's one for those of us who "lived through" the original Crisis.  What did you think was gonna happen after the Crisis was over?  I mean, more like what was your final take on where you thought DC was gonna go from here with Superman?  I actually decided that the new Byrne's Superman was actually a merger and continuation of all incarnations of Superman, basically - so reboot and erase all previous knowledge, and didn't view him as an entirely "new" character at all on that basis.  (The things we fanboys do to retain our love for our favorites.)  But looking back, I realize that both the E2 and E1 Superman basically retired and Superboy Prime gone as well.  In other words they were all still accounted for, not dissipated into the ether of the universe.  So in actuality - Byrne's Supes was supposed to be a "new character" after all, so to speak.

Just interested...

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 06:47:05 AM »

Yeah, Byrne's character is a new one.  A newer, weaker, crappier version that steals from his betters.  And from Byrne's Gladiator and that Jim Shooter New Universe thing with the jumpsuit.  And the Romita Spider-Man.

I like what ME Lad said about the 3-Ds.

I also like expanation in World's Funnest, where the fifth-D is really another parallel earth/universe (at least, that's what it seems).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Gary
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »

Post-crisis Mxy operated by a different set of rules than the older versions. The older Mxy would always get banished if he said his name backwards. The post-crisis one could set any condition that would need to be met before he would leave, or he could just leave voluntarily.

It's conceivable, I suppose, that Mxy Classic was only operating under self-imposed limitations -- nearly anything is possible when you're dealing with a character who can ignore the laws of the universe.
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »

Although an imaginary story - it would have been the last appearance of PreC Mxy, which was the Alan Moore "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow".  I believe it being "an imaginary story" is rather moot considering how much it was based in E1 reality and the close up story just prior the Superman reboot of the 80's.  Mxy's background in that story really should be canon for the E1 Mxy, as there is no real reason for it not to be.

Based on that, it definately stands to reason that there is a sort of self-imposed or subscribed to "more" (moral) that he limited his abilities to the use of whatever cycle of persona he was in.  I tell you that the twist of the story at the end there when he just completed his cycle of being an imp and became vicious was a jaw dropper.

I never really grooved on the PostC Mxy.

Also, I've never considered Mxy "ignored" the laws of the universe as much as I considered he knew the laws behind the laws and could manipulate on that basis.  E.g. he could handle the physical universe on such an basic level that he could create or recreate anything at will or whim, as his case may be.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 11:39:16 PM »

Everybody's forgetting the story in Superman #50 (the one where Lois Lane accepted Clark Kent's marriage proposal), where it was shown that the current Earth's Mxy (I REFUSE to call 'im the Earth-1 version!) was also The Impossible Man!  

The two ended meeting in a story teaming the current Superman and Silver Surfer.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L