superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:38:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Superman Returns?  (Read 11693 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 05:47:38 PM »

Superman's rogue gallery has never been amply used in media.

Altho Brainiac did appear in the Superman 1966 TV cartoon shows that were pretty faithful to Silver Age mythos including seperate eps for Superboy and Krypto.  A lot were scripted by Otto Binder
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 06:38:47 PM »

Is that right? Now this I hadn't heard.

I feel sorry for Jude Law. playing a character made popular by Terrence Stamp: it means he's finally starting to be cast on the basis of male pattern baldness.

I don't know, maybe that's just baseless internet chatter (a quick glance at the Internet Movie Databse just now shows no mention of Law or Zod, so it's either a big plot secret or not true at all).  Like I say, I haven't followed this film closely, which is usually a good thing.

On the other hand, at least with Law's build it would be easy to accept Routh taking him in a fight!

Are we...NEVER...going to get to Brainiac?

I hope we do.  It'd open the door to all kinds of amazing visuals, as you'd almost have to do something in space.  Maybe in the sequels...

Terra-Man, despite his absolutely surreal concept

I think your spell-checker is broken.  I know you meant to type "lame" but it came out "surreal."

This looks like a job for...
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 12:28:54 AM »

I plan to see Superman Returns, although at this point I'm not too excited about the movie. The changes to the uniform, Lois as a single Mom, Luthor again as the villain all inspire misgivings. Still, it is Superman, and Bryan Singer did well enough with the X-men movies to merit the benefit of the doubt from me. If there are sequels, I hope we finally get to see a genuine slugfest with some worthy super-opponent. Kal-el's battle with Zod and company in Superman II was mostly played for laughs.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 02:46:40 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Quote from: "nightwing"
I've heard Jude Law is appearing as General Zod (though there's been almost nothing official about this, so maybe it's supposed to be a big surprise or something).

Julian, you must have forgotten participating in this thread from 1995.  In it, Super Monkey revealed:

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Jude Law was Bryan Singer's only choice to play General Zod. After Law turned down the role several times, Singer eliminated the character from the script.

I thought it was a brilliant piece of casting, you didn't like the idea that much.  This could be the thread that also started Nightwing's Jude Law rumor.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 04:06:36 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Quote from: "nightwing"
I've heard Jude Law is appearing as General Zod (though there's been almost nothing official about this, so maybe it's supposed to be a big surprise or something).

I feel sorry for Jude Law. playing a character made popular by Terrence Stamp: it means he's finally starting to be cast on the basis of male pattern baldness.

Are we...NEVER...going to get to Brainiac? Batman's had five live action movies since the 1990s and he's used a sum total of seven of his famous villains. Superman on the other hand, has had four, going on five in nearly twice the same time, and yet we've only really seen Lex and Zod. It's time the directors starting dipping into the Supeman pot and started pulling some guys out.

Terra-Man, despite his absolutely surreal concept, may work as a future movie Superman foe; the flying horse is mindblowingly Joseph Campbell-esque.

i kinda liked the bastardization of firestorm and/or bizarro in the last film.
John R. Ford
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »

Lois as a single Mom

What the ---??

Fer the luvva Swan- say it ain't so!! Sheesh!
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 12:23:47 PM »

Could be an adopted child.  

Could be she is the legal guardian of the kid with the actual parents dead.  Say Lucy Lane and her husband dead and Lois is the last living relative.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 01:13:35 PM »

Thanks for clearing up the Jude Law thing, Rao.  I know my memory's getting bad, but it's not like me to make things up entirely.  :?

If it's true Singer dropped Zod when he couldn't get Law, then I guess Zod either had a small role or else the original script was pretty danged complicated compared to what they ended up with.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L