superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas by Elliot S! Maggin that weren't that great  (Read 17439 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »

I'm not a biologist, so I don't know whether natural selection could produce such physiological changes in that period.

You don't have to be a Biologist to figure out that it's too short of a time for any real change to happen. Not to mention that any human would be crushed to mush upon landing on Krypton.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 02:55:06 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
You don't have to be a Biologist to figure out that it's too short of a time for any real change to happen. Not to mention that any human would be crushed to mush upon landing on Krypton.

I'll yield to your superior knowledge of your homeworld.  :lol: Still, I'd like to see some empirical evidence to justify your conclusions.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2006, 03:02:39 AM »

LOL...waits for homeworld evidence...

Actually there's not much evidence for a species gaining incredible properties without any change in its physical appearance over millions of years of natural selection or hundreds of years of artificial selection...well, unless you count hard, tasteless tomatoes as an "incredible property"... Cool
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 05:57:11 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
And there's an inherent continuity contradiction in Superwoman's appearance in "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" -- Kristin Wells was supposed to be a descendant of Jimmy Olsen, who DIED in this story.  Since it was never mentioned that Jimmy ever had offspring, how could Kristin even exist?  

Answer: it was an imaginary story (but them, aren't they all?)

Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
lonewolf23k
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 03:49:36 AM »

Quote from: "Spaceman Spiff"
The story of "Kryp" and "Tonn" may be a legend, used to explain this pre-history. The early version of the legend may have been similar to the Greek myths about the creation of humans. Over the centuries, the legend was embellished. The "Kryp" and "Tonn" version includes a addition from Krypton's "space age", since it refers to space-travel and astronauts. It is also possible that the story was not a legend at all, but was an original story by Du-Vor.

That's definetly the simplest explanation I can think of: It's a made-up story..
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 12:36:30 AM »

I never thought Superboy Prime was that great, except for trivia purposes. Then again, I never thought any character created for Crisis on Infinite Earths was that great. I think a Krypto Prime would have been more interesting, because really...who could have stopped Krypto from doing whatever he wanted? He would have been totally unrestrained...

but I don't blame Maggin for how Superboy Prime turned out.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 01:01:13 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I never thought Superboy Prime was that great, except for trivia purposes. Then again, I never thought any character created for Crisis on Infinite Earths was that great.

Are you saying that Earth Prime was created "for" Crisis?  Is this an established fact?  Wondering...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 01:42:06 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I never thought Superboy Prime was that great, except for trivia purposes. Then again, I never thought any character created for Crisis on Infinite Earths was that great.

Are you saying that Earth Prime was created "for" Crisis?  Is this an established fact?  Wondering...

I belive he said that Superboy Prime was created for it, NOT Earth-Prime which was around during the 70's

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L