superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe EXILE at the EDGE OF ETERNITY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:33:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas by Elliot S! Maggin that weren't that great  (Read 17546 times)
Village Idiot
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 04:57:57 AM »

Two points:

1) I think one of the Kryp/Tonn's more nagging problems for me is that it seems cribbed from two TWILIGHT ZONE episodes.  (Two TWILIGHT ZONE episodes because the TWILIGHT ZONE actually cribbed from itself!)  

In both episodes, male and female adversaries, isolated from humanity, struggle with one another until they unite at the end of the story to become a new Adam and Eve.   In one of the episodes, the man and woman are even space explorers trapped on an alien planet.

2) My problem with "The Day the Cheering Stopped" has less to do with the physics of a primordial sword with a Superman symbol created at the dawn of time (that could all be explained by comic book metaphysics), but more to do with Superman's solution to the central dilemma of the story (i.e., the cheering stopping).

If you remember, King Kosmos manipulates things so that everybody sees Superman as a hostile alien.  While trying to deal with KK, this puts a serious crimp into Superman's mojo.  

So how does he deal with this newfound obstacle?

Does he summon the moral courage to stand up to KK despite public outcry, endure the transitory jeers in the knowledge that his cause is just, teaching us all a lesson about maintaining strength of character in the face of adversity, and showing the value of doing what's right no matter how unpopular?

NO!

He hypnotizes himself to hear the jeering as cheering.

Cop.  Out.

Basically, Superman can't just face down the problem, he has to alter his consciousness to deal with it.  I'd like to think that Superman is made of sterner stuff, and Maggin's resolution here as not only more cheesey than a deluxe 4 cheese pizza, but a missed opportunity to say something important and inspirational.

Gregory Scott
Column Editor/Frontline Flack
@$$hole Comic Reviews at Ain't-It-Cool News
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 01:30:30 PM »

Quote from: "Village Idiot"
I think one of the Kryp/Tonn's more nagging problems for me is that it seems cribbed from two TWILIGHT ZONE episodes.

I think the idea is a pretty old sci-fi idea, no?  I remember an old EC (mid-50s) story with the same twist ending.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L