superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:56:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crusader Legacy  (Read 11787 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 10:25:09 PM »

Ya know, no matter what universe you are in, its hard to get through the Silver Age of planetary devlopment without those dang giant war robots showing up... Cool

Nice project here!
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 10:40:37 PM »

I like the 1st two better.

The Sliver Age guy looks more like an 1980's action figure design than a true Sliver Age superhero to me.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 12:00:29 AM »

Maybe I agree a little, the bare arms, lack of a cape, eyeshield kind of reminds me of Marvel in the 70s, elements of Wolverine and Cyclops maybe...but, I still like the backstory...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 12:57:13 AM »

The eyeshield, belt and logo are very late 70's early 80's looking rather than 1960's. The story is good however.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 04:29:40 AM »

Hmm ... this is really interesting. When I designed the look of the Silver Age Crusader, I originally used Henry Pym's first Goliath identity and Wonder Man's first costume as inspiration ... with a little bit of Adam Strange thrown in for good measure.

Thanks for your comments, folks. They're proving to be very valuable. Now let's continue, shall we? Fast-forwarding to the year 1975, here's the Bronze Age Crusader.

Citizenship: United States of America
Home Base: Century City, USA
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 176 lbs.
Eyes: White
Hair: Black

24-year-old Scott Moore is the son of Jim Moore (the Golden Age Crusader) and Sarah Madison Moore, who was the Golden Age super-heroine called Miss Mercury. Scott was born a mutant with the star-symbol of Ra as a birthmark on his left shoulder, but manifested powers that were completely dissimilar to those possessed by either of his parents. This was the first time the symbol was passed on through heredity rather than a conscious act of will. Scott had latent telepathic and telekinetic abilities, but was also born with an unusual purple skin colour and no visible pupils or irises in his eyes. As he grew up, Scott was frequently the victim of prejudice because of both his appearance and his stance as a conscientious objector concerning the Vietnam conflict. This was made worse when he accidentally lashed out at a group of bullies with a telepathic mind-bolt ... placing them in comas for three days ... when they refused to desist in bombarding him with racist insults. Scott spent most of his time trying to shun a world that shunned him by immersing himself in Century City's decadent club scene with his fellow outcasts. Scott's life came to a crossroads when he was forced to take action to save his cousin Tom (the Silver Age Crusader) after he was captured by his nuclear-charged arch-enemy Radium. Desperate to rescue the Crusader, Scott's heightened stress level caused his star-symbol birthmark to flare to life and unlock his full mutant powers. Freeing Tom from captivity, Scott and his cousin teamed up to capture their enemy. Later, Tom explained to Scott that this was his last case as the Crusader, and he wished to devote more time to his family. Thus, he (and Scott's father) asked the young man to assume the mantle of the Crusader, knowing that Scott had the nobility to do so. Reluctantly, Scott agreed and became the Bronze Age Crusader, serving admirably in that capacity from 1975 throughout most of the 1980s. The role also bolstered Scott's self-confidence in private life, and he enjoyed a successful career as a paint and canvas artist.

Who goes there?!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »

Great stuff, Bill 9000! Welcome back to the boards!

I really dig the original Crusader costume; that crazy mix of colors makes him almost as colorblind as Alan Scott!  Cheesy The origin is cool, too; a nice mix of Clark Kent, Indiana Jones and Kent Nelson.

Odd to see a "second generation" hero actually older than his predecessor, but the costume's pretty cool, if a bit like a "negative" image of the Simpson's "Radioactive Man."

I see the Hank Pym influence in the SA Crusader, but with that fin on his head and the two-tone tunic he reminds me more of the GA Atom in his later costume.  Those specs and the general vibe also put me in the mind of Marvel's 50's hero, 3-D Man.

The Bronze Age version is fun!  He looks like he was designed by Dave Cockrum for the Legion!

Great stuff!  You should be doing the Batman cartoon instead of the hacks they've got doing it now!

This looks like a job for...
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 03:55:15 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
The Bronze Age version is fun!  He looks like he was designed by Dave Cockrum for the Legion!

Heh! Would ya believe "designed by Dave Cockrum for the X-Men"? :lol: The biggest influence on the Bronze Age Crusader's look was the costumes of the "New X-Men" from the late 70s early 80s ... which were also designed by Dave Cockrum.

Thanks for your comments, Nightwing ... and it feels good to be back in the saddle again. More to come!!

Who goes there?!
Bill 9000
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 01:34:14 AM »

And now to the year 1987, where we meet the Iron Age Crusader.

Citizenship: United States of America
Home Base: Century City, USA
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Eyes: Red (originally Green)
Hair: Red

Kristine Moore is the daughter of Tom Moore (the Silver Age Crusader) and Alicia Chase Moore, managing editor of the Moore Media Group's Pulse Magazine. She is also one of a set of twins along with her brother Christopher. Both children were born as mutants with the star-symbol of Ra as birthmarks on their skin, much like their uncle Scott. Kristine and Chris shared between them control of the four elements of nature, with Kristine commanding air and water while Chris had control over earth and fire. When the twins' super-powers fully surfaced during puberty, their father began training them in the proper use of their abilities. Eventually, their parents allowed them to become superheroes in their own right. Both Kristine and her brother wore costumes patterned after their father's and even called themselves the Crusader Twins. Kristine's uniform was blue in colour and she took the name Crusader-Blue, while Chris wore a red uniform and took the moniker Crusader-Red. After high school, Krsitine attended Claremont University while working for Pulse Magazine in pursuit of her love of photography. Chris did not attend university, enlisting in the United States Army instead. It was during this time that Kristine lost track of her brother, and he was eventually listed as missing in action. Over the next few years, Kristine concentrated more on her career rather than being a superhero, even after her uncle retired as the Crusader following the 1986 incident at Kirby Memorial Hospital. However, Chris amazingly turned up alive a year later under the alias the Dark Crusader. Chris engaged her sister in combat with the intention of killing her and claiming the Crusader mantle for himself. Although her father was on hand to help her, Kristine insisted on facing her brother alone. The battle virtually killed both siblings, but Chris' injuries proved fatal. In repentance, he embraced his sister one last time and, with a surge of coruscating energy, transferred his super-powers to her. With Chris' power added to her own, Kristine became the Iron Age Crusader in her brother's memory.

Who goes there?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L